Help...why Is My Fondant Cracking!!!!

Decorating By shawnteel Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 2:45pm by shawnteel

shawnteel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnteel Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 9

ok so I am not all that new to cake decorating but by no means a prfessional. I have been using MMF for quite some time. Now I dont know if its the humidity or what is going on but lately when I do any kind of tier cakes the fondant crackes icon_sad.gif I use pvc pipe for dowels (had a disaster with wooden dowels before, wont do that again) so it is sturdy. The dowels are usually about 3" apart. What I am doing or not doing. The cakes are fine on the counter then once I stack them they crack...Please anyones suggestions would be appreciated.

8 replies
shawnteel Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:34am
post #2 of 9

anyone please....anyone icon_sad.gif

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 5:53am
post #3 of 9

What kind of cake circle or board are you using for each tier? I know a lot of people use foam core to provide a very sturdy base for each tier so that the cake doesn't bend when you pick it up.

shawnteel Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 9

I use cardboard that I cut and wrap in aluminum foil. Depending on the thickness of the cardboard I am using I usually go 2-3 pieces thick for the support. Not to sound stupid but what is a foam core, is it just like a piece of styrofoam?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 9

Well, there's pressure on the fondant when you stack. It really sounds like the support legs are too short.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 9

Hi,
Yeah foam core is like styrofoam. The problem could be the cardboard boards or the dowels could be the problem. Cracking fondant sounds like a weight issue.
Maybe these youtube videos will help you,

Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

shawnteel Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:24pm
post #7 of 9

thank you for sharing the links. Do you all use middle supports or just around the outside edge? I am also getting mixed information about the height of the dowels. Now shouldnt they stick up just a hair above the bottom cake?

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #8 of 9

I believe just one dowel is normally used in the middle of the cake, with the ones around the outside. I also think that dowels should be just very slightly higher than the bottom cake, because you really need the cake to be resting on the dowels, not the cake, if the cake isn't on the dowels, it could sink slightly, thus creating the crack, because the weight is pressing down on it.

Hope this helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

shawnteel Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you everyone for all of your help. So I will try using maybe more dowels, a center dowel, filing them to make sure they are all flat, and making sure they are jsut above the surface...wheeew!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%