"sky High" Pina Colada Recipe ~How Much Batter Doe

Baking By southerncross Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 1:23am by bobwonderbuns

southerncross  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:34am
post #1 of 3

I have a pina colada two tier cake (9" and 12' squares") due for next weekend. I made the Pineapple Coconut WASC recipe using mix and it's good but more dense than I'm looking for.

I would like to use the Pina Colada cake recipe in "Sky High" (I'm more comfortable with scratch cakes) . The recipe says it fills three 9"pans. Wiltons chart says one 9" round pan takes 5 1/2 cups but I cant see how the recipe would make 16 1/2 cup! The recipe calls for

3~ 3/4 c flour,
1 3/4 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 1/4 c lt. brown sugar
1/2 pound butter
1 3/4 c buttermilk
5 eggs
2 t vanilla

Once I know how much batter it makes, I can multipy the recipe (and adjust the baking soda ratios. Any help, ideas, suggestions are welcomed.

2 replies
 cakegrandma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure how many cups this will make, it looks like to me that it would not even fill the 9" pans and definitely not 16 1/2 cups. Probably the best thing to do is make up the recipe as shown and measure the cups it makes. If you can't make the rest needed for a complete cake the size you want you can freeze the batter and let it thaw out in the fridge the day before you need it.
evelyn

bobwonderbuns  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 3

When I make a recipe like this, I always pour it into my 8 cup pyrex measure and make notes from there. Once I figure out how many cups a recipe makes, I make that note on the recipe notes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%