"sky High" Pina Colada Recipe ~How Much Batter Doe

Baking By southerncross Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 1:23am by bobwonderbuns

southerncross Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 9:34am
post #1 of 3

I have a pina colada two tier cake (9" and 12' squares") due for next weekend. I made the Pineapple Coconut WASC recipe using mix and it's good but more dense than I'm looking for.

I would like to use the Pina Colada cake recipe in "Sky High" (I'm more comfortable with scratch cakes) . The recipe says it fills three 9"pans. Wiltons chart says one 9" round pan takes 5 1/2 cups but I cant see how the recipe would make 16 1/2 cup! The recipe calls for

3~ 3/4 c flour,
1 3/4 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
2 1/4 c lt. brown sugar
1/2 pound butter
1 3/4 c buttermilk
5 eggs
2 t vanilla

Once I know how much batter it makes, I can multipy the recipe (and adjust the baking soda ratios. Any help, ideas, suggestions are welcomed.

2 replies
cakegrandma Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 12:54am
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure how many cups this will make, it looks like to me that it would not even fill the 9" pans and definitely not 16 1/2 cups. Probably the best thing to do is make up the recipe as shown and measure the cups it makes. If you can't make the rest needed for a complete cake the size you want you can freeze the batter and let it thaw out in the fridge the day before you need it.
evelyn

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 1:23am
post #3 of 3

When I make a recipe like this, I always pour it into my 8 cup pyrex measure and make notes from there. Once I figure out how many cups a recipe makes, I make that note on the recipe notes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%