Interesting!

Business By ksu2009 Updated 7 Sep 2011 , 4:24pm by mariacakestoo

ksu2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
13 replies
kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:13am
post #2 of 14

Thanks for sharing! I had to laugh at her comment on clean and impeccable design and execution. While I couldn't agree more, that cake in the picture is a hot mess!!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:36am
post #3 of 14

"...Wedding cake consultations should always include a cake-tasting component and some designers will limit the number of people attending. ..."

I do NOT offer a cake-tasting at consultations.

I really dislike when one professional does things a certain way and insists that that is the only way it should be done. So I don't do it the way they do...doesn't mean it's wrong. It's articles such as this that gets a "hmmmph" reaction from customers when they request to meet with me to eat cake and I tell them I don't offer tastings.

For the record, I opt to deliver samples so they can nyum nyum nyum and smack and talk and lick their fingers all in the comfort of their own home. I don't want to watch 'em while they do it.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 14

That is one of the few articles that I have read on wedding cakes that made sense. She had a good per serving price range and mentioned that quality of ingredients would reflect price. I actually like what she said about consultations. Ain't no way in he!! I am paying the $300-500 cost of a wedding cake and not know if it's going to taste good. JMO.

QTCakes1 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 14

That is one of the few articles that I have read on wedding cakes that made sense. She had a good per serving price range and mentioned that quality of ingredients would reflect price. I actually like what she said about consultations. Ain't no way in he!! I am paying the $300-500 cost of a wedding cake and not know if it's going to taste good. JMO.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 14

Since Bonnie is a decorator herself the article is rather well written........however..........she is not from the USA so some of her ways differ from what 'we' do. I can not agree 100% with what she said.
As others have pointed out just because you do something one way does not mean it is THE ONLY way for it to be doneicon_smile.gif
Now who is going to inform the brides who read this?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 14

They get to taste whatever flavors they want. I just don't set aside time to have people eat and deliberate taste and texture of cake when they could be more at ease in their own home doing it aaaaaaaaaaaaand I don't have to be present when they do it.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

"
For the record, I opt to deliver samples so they can nyum nyum nyum and smack and talk and lick their fingers all in the comfort of their own home. I don't want to watch 'em while they do it.

Oh my goodness, you North Carolina girls are really something! Smackin' lips and lickin' fingers! Oh my. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

I actually think the article is rather spot on. Cake tastings were unheard of in these parts until recently. I started doing them out of my own insecurity and desire to make sure I was getting the right "read" on what my brides wanted. For me, the cake tasting event is more than just tasting and selecting flavours. It gives me the opportunity to sit down with the bride and groom and perhaps her mother and brides maid and really listen to what they want in the way of design. I ask them to bring in pictures of cakes they like but tell them that I don't copy designs but rather try to make one that is unique to their wedding. So seeing the colours, dress, etc. helps me in that direction. I even helps me decide what form of cake stand is best for the cake.

My cakes are almost twice the cost of other home bakers in the area (we have no commercial bakers within 60 miles) but I don't want for orders. I justify my price because of the quality ingredients and the personal service I give. The cake tasting is a vital part of that service. I'm fortunate to live in an old plantation house with formal dining room and that's where I have my tastings, complete with a glass of bubbly.

I actually look forward to the tastings myself...but then of course our Southern belles don't smack their lips nor lick their fingers. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

QTCakes1 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 8:54pm
post #9 of 14

I have to ask, in what way does the article defer in what we do? If you offer tastings, it's pretty much how she wrote it. She even mentioned if they wanted to try a specific flavor, there would be an additional charge. Now not everyone does things the exact same way, but for her not to be from the U.S., she does it exactly like I do it and all the decorators/bakeries I know. I love that she has the 50% down and be ready to pay your deposit at the time of the consultation if you like the baker your having the consultation with.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 14

What channel is "Cake Walk" on? I saw it listed on the side of the article. It said it's on tonight at 9 ET. But it didn't say what channel. Anyone know? Thanks!

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:34pm
post #11 of 14

The show is a Canadian version of Food Network Challenge and is hosted by Caroline Rhea. It airs on the Slice channel.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 1:43pm
post #12 of 14

Do you agree that all the decorators charging more must be using scratch, top quality ingredients? And vice versa, that those charging less must be doing so because they use shortening and cake mixes? (I know, hot topic.) I always felt like the price was decided more by the skill level of the decorator. Some people are great decorators but their cakes taste like crap (For example, I've heard Charm City Cakes don't taste that great). Personally, I like to think my cakes taste better than they look. I try to use the best quality ingredients I can reasonably afford, but that doesn't mean that I can charge $20/serving when I go into business!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by traci_doodle

Do you agree that all the decorators charging more must be using scratch, top quality ingredients? And vice versa, that those charging less must be doing so because they use shortening and cake mixes? (I know, hot topic.) I always felt like the price was decided more by the skill level of the decorator. Some people are great decorators but their cakes taste like crap (For example, I've heard Charm City Cakes don't taste that great). Personally, I like to think my cakes taste better than they look. I try to use the best quality ingredients I can reasonably afford, but that doesn't mean that I can charge $20/serving when I go into business!

I agree! And it isn't the best ingredients YOU can afford, when you are in business, it is the best your clients can afford!

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:24pm
post #14 of 14

Wonderful article! SO GLAD to see emphasis on the consistency of skill, balanced tiers, perfectly positioned decorations. Love it! And a wedding cake deserves a tasting. Sheesh!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%