Help Quick Please

Decorating By pastryqueen9 Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 3:41am by grandmomof1

pastryqueen9 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:35am
post #1 of 5

I'm finishing up a wedding cake and I need to put the ribbon on. I'm not really sure how to go about doing that. I have heard that some people put oil on the ribbon to make it stick to the cake but won't that effect the taste of the cake or make the color bleed on to the icing, or make the icing oily? Help please!!

4 replies
Torimomma Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:39am
post #2 of 5

If it's buttercream use piping gel to stick it. Some people oil the ribbon to keep random grease spots from showing, depends on the type of ribbon you use. Not enough to alter the taste. If you have the time you could line the back of the ribbon with waxed paper.

SRumzis Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 5

Ok, so I took the time to line all my ribbons with wax paper once, but small edges here and there were barely touching the cake, and turned the whole ribbon darker anyway. I would use a lighter color ribbon and let the grease from the cake darken it, or buy waterproof ribbon from a cake store. As long as your buttercream is adequately crusted, I wouldn't think it would bleed onto the cake. Hth!

pastryqueen9 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

I used the piping gel and it worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

grandmomof1 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #5 of 5

I use crisco. You do not have to worry about grease spots coming through on your ribbon later because you have already solved that problem. It gives you an even finish on the ribbon and your ribbon stays smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%