Best Way To Make Ahead And Store Cupcakes?

Baking By Chelle1019 Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 12:08pm by amaryllis756

Chelle1019 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 3:32am
post #1 of 5

Hello All - New to the site and first time posting.

In October I will be making all the cupcakes and my sons personal cake for his 1st B-day. I have a few questions since this is the first time I will really be making everything from scratch
I will be making at least 50 cupcakes (still looking for a good recipe for vanilla cupcakes) with buttercream icing. I will be in FL the week before his b-day and I work full time so I am thinking about making the cupcakes ahead and freezing them. Is this ok and what is the best way to do this? Should I freeze them with or without frosting?
If I freeze them without frosting and take them out the morning of the party - let them defrost and ice them - should I put them back in the fridge or will they be ok out until they are eaten later in the afternoon?
Wondering if I can do the same thing for his personal cake??

Sorry so many questions - would love any and all advice.

4 replies
scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 5

50 cupcakes will take very little time to bake. If you have the pans, 48 can be made in 22 minutes, or 48 in about an hour. You can frost them 2 hours later. I wouldn't make such a small batch ahead, but I never do. I'm not a fan of freezing cupcakes.

pj22 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

I was reading on these forums about an experiment with freezing cupcakes that someone did and the moistest ones were those that were all put in a Ziploc bag and stored in the freezer. Let them thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter and simply decorate and serve. HTH!!

Lemmers Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 11:09am
post #4 of 5

I have frozen cupcakes myself uniced and they were fine! I just put a leyer of them on a baking sheet, lay a piece of greaseproof paper on top then stack more cakes, then another piece of greaseproof then I wrapped the whole lot, tin and all, in 2 layers of clingfilm.

I froze them for just under a week and defrosted them still wrapped- lovely and moist. You will need to ice them as soon as possible after deforsting to stop them drying out, and I would suggest avoiding putting them in the fridge if possible as this seems to dry out and harden them. If you DO have to refridgerate them, get them out a while before serving so they can soften up again.

HTH!

amaryllis756 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 5

Freezing is no problem. Do them exactly how you said, and you will be fine. I freeze all the time. The do come out moister for some reason. And they can be put back in the fridge after frosting. It helps the buttercream to firm up. I alway make sure my buttercream is chilled before I transport cupcakes any where.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%