Best Way To Make Ahead And Store Cupcakes?

Baking By Chelle1019 Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 12:08pm by amaryllis756

Chelle1019  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelle1019 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 3:32am
post #1 of 5

Hello All - New to the site and first time posting.

In October I will be making all the cupcakes and my sons personal cake for his 1st B-day. I have a few questions since this is the first time I will really be making everything from scratch
I will be making at least 50 cupcakes (still looking for a good recipe for vanilla cupcakes) with buttercream icing. I will be in FL the week before his b-day and I work full time so I am thinking about making the cupcakes ahead and freezing them. Is this ok and what is the best way to do this? Should I freeze them with or without frosting?
If I freeze them without frosting and take them out the morning of the party - let them defrost and ice them - should I put them back in the fridge or will they be ok out until they are eaten later in the afternoon?
Wondering if I can do the same thing for his personal cake??

Sorry so many questions - would love any and all advice.

4 replies
 scp1127  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 5

50 cupcakes will take very little time to bake. If you have the pans, 48 can be made in 22 minutes, or 48 in about an hour. You can frost them 2 hours later. I wouldn't make such a small batch ahead, but I never do. I'm not a fan of freezing cupcakes.

pj22  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:59am
post #3 of 5

I was reading on these forums about an experiment with freezing cupcakes that someone did and the moistest ones were those that were all put in a Ziploc bag and stored in the freezer. Let them thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter and simply decorate and serve. HTH!!

Lemmers  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 11:09am
post #4 of 5

I have frozen cupcakes myself uniced and they were fine! I just put a leyer of them on a baking sheet, lay a piece of greaseproof paper on top then stack more cakes, then another piece of greaseproof then I wrapped the whole lot, tin and all, in 2 layers of clingfilm.

I froze them for just under a week and defrosted them still wrapped- lovely and moist. You will need to ice them as soon as possible after deforsting to stop them drying out, and I would suggest avoiding putting them in the fridge if possible as this seems to dry out and harden them. If you DO have to refridgerate them, get them out a while before serving so they can soften up again.

HTH!

amaryllis756  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 5

Freezing is no problem. Do them exactly how you said, and you will be fine. I freeze all the time. The do come out moister for some reason. And they can be put back in the fridge after frosting. It helps the buttercream to firm up. I alway make sure my buttercream is chilled before I transport cupcakes any where.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%