What To Charge For A Dummy Cake?

Decorating By teacup916 Updated 14 Sep 2011 , 2:00am by teacup916

teacup916 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:24am
post #1 of 3

I have had my first request for a mostly dummy wedding cake..only the top 6" is to be cake. The other 4 layers 8, 10, 12, 14 are to be dummy along with the 3 tier grooms cake. She also asked for the cake to be iced in buttercream. Can I frost styrofoam with buttercream successfully? I know I can cover it in fondant, but buttercream? Would appreciate any suggestions, especially regarding the charge.

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 3

Yes, you can cover it in buttercream. An inexpensive, all shortening, crusting BC works fine.

Cost is at least 80% of what real cake would cost--styro is expensive and the amount of materials & time to decorate is the same as a real cake.

What, pray tell, is this bride (who probably thinks she's going to save a ton of money by doing this) going to serve her guests?? Styrofoam is pretty dry icon_cool.gif

Be mindful that she may be planning to serve Walmart or Costco cake to her guests. You don't want anyone hearing that you did the cake, if that's what they wind up eating.

Some decorators won't even do a dummy unless they provide the kitchen cakes for serving, too........ icon_wink.gif It's part of their written contract......

teacup916 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 2:00am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your reply! I did take your advice on pricing. I doubled the expenses plus some. My contact was with a wedding planner. I did ask her what they were serving if not cake, she didn't reply and said they decided to go a different direction. That was fine with me! I didn't think I had anything to lose. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%