I did use a template for it. I used two separate clipart images to get one I was happy with (read as clear enough lines to follow). Enlarged it so that the base was 11 3/4" (I thought I'd done it to 12" but, I reckon I goofed. good thing too...it fit nicely on a 12" plaque(?))
I used tips, 5,4,3,2,1 depending on the level (lower level got the biggest tip for main areas...smaller tips for details), piped four of each piece onto parchment and allowed to dry. Overpiped and allowed to dry. I also outlined and filled four squares to use as bases (with center opened (I had had a thought about a possible lighting setup and prepared for it) for each level and allowed them to dry thoroughly...took a bit longer 'cause of the flow in consistency of the royal. Carefully turned each piece of the tower over and overpiped again. Allowed to dry. The bases were turned over and allowed to dry bottom side up to be sure they were good and dry then, oulined and flooded them again and allowed them to dry, turning them over after a couple of days. The pieces of the tower were assembled using royal icing and using various items to help support the sides while drying/assembling. After the sections were completely dry, they were attached to their bases with royal icing and allowed to dry. After completely dry, the pieces can be carefully trimmed by scraping with an x-acto knife. The fencing around the section with the catwalk looking surround was made by piping small dollops of royal and inserting 1" pieces of dried spaghetti upright into each. Allow to dry. Then, using royal icing, pipe drop swings from the top of one to the top of the next one all the way around. Also, I used a 4 or 5 inch length of dried spaghetti, coated with royal icing (insert spaghetti into tip end of bag and draw out slowly), inserted into the top of the tower, with a dollop of royal on top, as the antenna.
I'll try to recreate the template I used and share it as well.
I think that's everything. All the best to you!
Thank you for sharing! I bet it was time consuming but fun to do.
The only time consuming part was waiting for it to dry. That was just shy of maddening. Less than an hour for each piping session. All those lines looked intimidating until I actually started it.
It was a very satisfying piece. I was pleased as punch once it was assembled at its' destination.
This is a good image for this piece. http://www.marcytilton.com/show_image.php?id=1490
I used publisher to enlarge it to (what was supposed to be) a 12" base. Print it out...it'll be on multiple sheets...piece the pages together to form complete template. Then, cut the template (or it can be cropped in whatever imaging program before printing) at points where there's a bend or base. I wound up with 8 separate pieces...the very top had 5, not including the antenna.
When piping it out, don't pipe the extended platform areas. The extensed areas will make assembling impossible.
Oh wow - that piece is spectacular! And sooooo kind of you to share not only how you did it, but the image you used too. They don't make 'em like you anymore
Thank you! I'm embarassed to say, that isn't the exact image I used. I took a couple of images and spliced them. In the frustration of getting a good print in the size I needed, once I was successful, I closed the program without saving the spliced image. However, when searching for the images I used for my piece, I came upon the one above. Had I seen it when I searched for one to print for my piece, I would definitely have used that one instead of piecing images together. It has clearly defined, pipeable lines.
Thanks so much for the tutorial. You did an amazing job.
thanks so much
Thank you so much for posting this tutorial! You did a beautiful job!!!