Im Sure They Must Exist.

Decorating By StormyHaze Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 12:12am by Unlimited

StormyHaze Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am not exactly sure what they are called. But when i have to do writing on a cake, typically what i do is pre write it with a tooth pick.

What im wondering is, is there a tool that has lettering that i can press into the cake and then remove?

Do you think it would be a waste of money, or a time saver?

As well as, what tip do you use for piping lettering? Any tips (..like helpful information, haha) on lettering cake? I am not that great at it quite yet.

6 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton has some of those letter presses and you can find others -- I have two sets from the garden section at Michaels!! I don't use them much, I prefer tappits but it's a great help if you're letter challenged like I am!! icon_biggrin.gif

tracey6277 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

you can get a scriber which is for this, it looks like the other modelling tools you can get. I dont have one as i tend to trace the lettering i want on one side of parchment paper with a normal pen then flip the paper over and retrace over the normal pen with a edible pen and press it where i need it on the cake. I am very letter challanged as the pervious poster said and this works for me.
I also have the letter presses but use these before the fondant dried as i have found it cracks the fondant (unless i am just too heavy handed)

i have just purchased tapits and realised that they will take some getting used to!! love them though

StormyHaze Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Wilton has some of those letter presses and you can find others -- I have two sets from the garden section at Michaels!! I don't use them much, I prefer tappits but it's a great help if you're letter challenged like I am!! icon_biggrin.gif

Whats the difference between letter presses and tappits? icon_surprised.gif

StormyHaze Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey6277

you can get a scriber which is for this, it looks like the other modelling tools you can get. I dont have one as i tend to trace the lettering i want on one side of parchment paper with a normal pen then flip the paper over and retrace over the normal pen with a edible pen and press it where i need it on the cake. I am very letter challanged as the pervious poster said and this works for me.
I also have the letter presses but use these before the fondant dried as i have found it cracks the fondant (unless i am just too heavy handed)

i have just purchased tapits and realised that they will take some getting used to!! love them though

Slightly confused. you put parchment paper on an iced cake? icon_confused.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyHaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Whats the difference between letter presses and tappits? icon_surprised.gif

Letter presses are little blocks of plastic that you press into the buttercream to form the letters, then pipe over them. Tappits are designed to be used with either fondant or gumpaste -- you roll it very thin, let it dry for a minute or two then press out the letters and let them dry, then place them on the cake or cakeboard. If you look in my pix, the blue purse cake for Bella -- the lettering is tappits.

Unlimited Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:12am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyHaze

Do you think it would be a waste of money, or a time saver?

As well as, what tip do you use for piping lettering? Any tips (..like helpful information, haha) on lettering cake?

It's probably not a waste of money, if it helps and is utilized. I don't believe it would be a time saverwriting would be the fastest way, using your toothpick would be the next fastest way, and taking the time to line up and use individual letters would take the longest.

I use tip #4 to write.

HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%