Cream Cheese Frosting That Does Not Need Refrigeration

Baking By LoverOfSweets Updated 29 May 2014 , 9:16pm by married2kitchen

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 26

I was in my local grocery store and they had red velvet cup cakes with cream cheese frosting that were not being refrigerated or kept cold. Is this possible? I always thought cream cheese frosting needed refrigeration, does any one have a cream cheese frostig recipe that is ok to store on the counter?

25 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 26

Could be, depends on their recipe. Earlene Moore has one that doesn't need refrigeration or they can use artificial flavoring (i.e. Lorann's cream cheese oil).

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 26

Hmmm...that just raised a question in my mind.

In a few days I'm making a carrot cake with a crusting cream cheese recipe I found on here in the recipes. Will that have to be refrigerated? It has butter and creamcheese in it.

glow0369 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glow0369 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 26

There are a lot of cream cheese tasting recipes out there that do not need to be refrigerated. They do not have cream cheese in them...they just taste like cream cheese. I use Bakehouses Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream all the time and it needs no refrigeration. Most cannot tell that there is no cream cheese involved.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 26

Would you mind posting the link or the actual recipe for the Bakehouse Faux Cream Cheese Icing? I'm doing a cake on Sep 17 for a 100th birthday party and one of my layers will be red velvet with cream cheese filling. I was planning to use store-bought cream cheese frosting for the filling because of the heat/refrigeration issues.

I did a search but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

glow0369 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 26

Bakehouse Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream
6c powdered sugar
1/8t salt
1t vanilla
'Use whip attachment and add:
'1 c warm buttercream- whip till smooth..cool
add: 2 2/3c hi-ratio shortening
'1 1/2 sticks butter in 1in. pcs., slightly chilled
'Whip till light and fluffy.

WeezyS Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 26

Thanks, this sounds like a great recipe, but please tell us what you mean by warm buttercream. I've never heard of it.

glow0369 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 26

Sorry..it is just buttercream that has been heated up gently to warm, not hot or boiling..

WeezyS Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:25pm
post #9 of 26

Thanks for your reply, but I still don't know what buttercream is. Maybe we don't have this where I am from. I've never heard of it.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:45pm
post #10 of 26

Hi, WeezyS. Buttercream is the most common frosting for cakes in the US. There are tons of recipes on here and there are several on the Wilton site as well. The basic ingredients are butter, shortening, powdered sugar, some kind of liquid and some flavoring, all beaten together.

glow0369 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 26

Buttermilk is right next to the regular milk in the refrigerated part. It might be labeled cultured buttermilk. I call it sour milk...

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #12 of 26

Ok. There was the confusion! The ingredient needed is buttermilk not buttercream as it was written in the recipe.

glow0369 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:04am
post #13 of 26

Sorry..extremely tired about right now....it should have been buttermilk in the recipe.

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:25am
post #14 of 26

I had this same confusion recently. There is a cupcake shop where I live, and ALL their cupcakes have cream cheese frosting (REAL cream cheese), kept at room temperature. And they say they are good for up to three days. I asked the owner how that was possible, and she said that the sugar preserves the cream cheese, just like it does for the milk in regular buttercream, or the cream used in ganache. (all of which are legally OK to leave at room temperature where I live). Since then I have noticed more and more commercial places here that use cream cheese icing at room temp, I just never noticed them before. And because I get a lot of my info from here at CC (a primarily U.S. dominated forum), I assumed it wasn't OK here either. But clearly the laws are different here, as everyone seems to be doing it!

Obviously if you are thinking of doing it yourself for a cake that you are selling you are better to adhere to the law (whatever it is), but if it's just for home, you're probably going to be OK for short periods of time.

Apti Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #15 of 26

Thank you for printing the recipe. Since there was a typo, I'll retype it to make sure this is the correct recipe.

Bakehouse Faux Cream Cheese Buttercream
6 cup powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Use whip attachment and add:
1 cup warm buttermilk (heated up gently to warm, not hot or boiling)- whip till smooth and cool
add: 2-2/3 cup hi-ratio shortening
1-1/2 sticks butter in 1 inch pieces, slightly chilled
Whip till light and fluffy.

Since the issue of cream cheese at room temperature came up, I did a quick google search and found this on Canadian Partnership for Food Safety Information, "Ask Mrs. Cookwell"

Question: I left a pumpkin roll out overnight that has a cream cheese / butter / powdered sugar mixture. Is this now bad to eat?
Answer: Yes, it may be bad to eat. Any roll with a cream cheese/butter filling or frosting should be kept refrigerated.

http://www.canfightbac.org/cpcfse/en/cookwell/ask/dairy/#85

glow0369 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:04am
post #16 of 26

Thanks Apti...my bad.

Apti Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:11am
post #17 of 26

nah...you're precious! You were just tired.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:23am
post #18 of 26

Apti: I have a question,
(heated up gently to warm, not hot or boiling)- whip till smooth and cool

I have never done any thing like this with buttermilk does this whip up like whipping cream by some chance? this is very interesting. Will wait to hear from you on this. Thank you.

WeezyS Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:48am
post #19 of 26

Oh,,,sorry, now I see the confusion.

It should be buttermilk, I know what that is. I think I will try this recipe this weekend. Sounds good.
Thanks for the help.

LoverOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoverOfSweets Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:40am
post #20 of 26

Thank you for the info. I will try the recipe given and also look into getting the flavored oil. I learn something new everyday. icon_smile.gif

judypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judypie Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 26

what is hi-ratio shortening?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:00pm
post #22 of 26

A

Original message sent by judypie

what is hi-ratio shortening?

Hi there....I see this is a old thread but they mention high ratio shortening . Its high in fat content ( sp ) anyways it also has other ingredients to make it hold liquid and sugar better it really makes a huge difference in making buttercream. Its not Crisco crisco is now trans fat free. You can buy high ratio shortening at a cake supply store a restaurant depot or online.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00024WNTU

www.littleladycakes.com/2009/04/high-ratio-shortening.html?m=1

High ratio shortening also is more stable to high temperatures like in the warm summer months

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:31pm
post #23 of 26

Cream Cheese by "BRILL" that many bakeries use does not need refrigerated.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:56pm
post #24 of 26

Earlene Moore has a cream cheese frosting that doesn't have to be refrigerated.  Just google her name for her website.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2014 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 26

Just reviving this thread to add something I just found (while studying this thread and the internet!):

http://www.eatbydate.com/grains/baked-goods/how-long-do-cupcakes-last-shelf-life/

It says that cupcakes with cream cheese icing have a shelf life of 1-2 days. So, the cake I am doing for tomorrow will be fine with cream cheese icing in one tier (bottom tier is ganache filling, which would get too hard if the whole thing was refrigerated) from delivery (morning) to the party (5pm). 

I still may delivery it in separate tiers and give instructions on how to take the top tier out of the frig and place on top of the doweled bottom tier. They are friends, so I don't have a problem telling them they should refrigerate the cream cheese icing one for the day.

Any thoughts on this?

married2kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
married2kitchen Posted 29 May 2014 , 9:16pm
post #26 of 26

AOk the bakehouse faux buttercream calls for butter is it salted or unsalted? Thanks in advance

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%