Buttercream Vs. Royal Iciing To Do Detail Work Over Mmf

Decorating By Bri83 Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm by kakeladi

Bri83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri83 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 6

I am making my best friends wedding cake next weekend. I am matron of honor and of course she has enlisted me ont his task icon_sad.gif , she just gave me the pic of the cake she wants. It is a white fondant cake with dark navy blue modern peacock feathers. It appears to be piped on. My questions are: how do i get navy blue color in my icing ( i was thinking royal blue + violet?)
2. Will the color bleed onto the white fondant in the humidity (cake will be inside a./c), how far in advance can i pipe the design.
3. do i use royal icing to pipe the design or buttercream or something else. my experience with royal icing is that it gets really dry and brittle and can crack off....butttercream seems to flow much better but doesn't get a hard finish.

this cake is mainly for looks because she had a bakery do 250 cupcakes for the main servings. What to do what to do! thumbs_up.gif

any help for you experienced Cakers would be appreciated!!!!!!!!

5 replies
SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 6

I'd think it would be better with the royal icing. The BC will get soft and might start to look a little greasy against the the fondant. Royal icing will have a cleaner finish. For Navy Blue, i would mix blue with a little touch of black.

Moovaughan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moovaughan Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

To get your navy color you'll need to do a teeny tiny bit of black to royal blue. I think the violet will take you too much to the purple side.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 6

I second that sugarbaker 05. The shirt cake I made in my gallery was made with mostly blue and a little black. The royal icing will not bleed on the fondant bc will if it melts.

Bri83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bri83 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 6

thanks for the suggestions! hope to post a beautiful cake next weekend! thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 6

,,,,,,,,BC will get soft and might start to look a little greasy against the the fondant,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I use b'cream on 99% of my cakes and it does not melt nor bleed. As long as the cake is not refrigerated there should be no problem w/it .
Your comment about royal drying and cracking tells me you have overwhipped it - it is too stiff and needs to be more of a medium consistency.
Same with b'cream. If it is the proper consistency it will not melt. Try INdyDebi's icing recipe. I can't speak from experience as I didn't know about it until after I retired but I hear many, many good comments about it - expecially from people in hi humidity areas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%