Severe Weather Problems

Business By Kitagrl Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 12:16am by Annabakescakes

Kitagrl Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 6

Okay question.

So I'm in PA....last weekend we had Irene which caused flooding and power outages. I only had one cake order last weekend and the lady postponed it and begged me to do it next weekend, even though I was booked. I finally agreed to do it, but several days early so that it will be out of my way to fit my other cake orders in the fridges, etc.

NOW.

I realize its a long shot, but right now they are watching another possible hurricane with possible bad effects for our area. I realize it probably will not happen...but I wanted to ask this.

I have five cake orders next weekend....two party cakes and three weddings. Hypothetically speaking...say I buy everything, bake everything, and make frostings and such...say even some of the cakes have been assembled. Then say a hurricane hits and knocks out power and some of the parties have no choice but to be cancelled. THEN what? Or even if I didn't assemble the cakes...and the brides want to reschedule...but there will be no room in my schedule to move things as I"m solidly booked for the next two months. Who loses the money? The bride? Or me, for already doing part or all of their order?

I don't have an "Act of God" clause in my contract but even if I did, I wouldn't know what to put....????

Has anyone ever had this happen? I'm hoping and praying that Katia just goes out to sea with no problems but if she does not...well...a five major cake weekend will NOT be good....

I did buy a generator this past storm so that I can keep my refrigerators going, so spoilage is not an issue....just money and scheduling, mainly, and how to handle this rare but entirely possible situation.

Thanks!

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:51pm
post #2 of 6

I rread an internet article eariler this week about a couple who ended up getting married on Fri at what was planned as their rehersal dinner. That article mentioned how many couples lost a lot of money because of Irene and having to cancel. It didn't go into much detail but it sounds like couples should purchase insurance!
As far as you losing - mainly because you have already purchased supplies - eventually you will use most if not all of it so you really won't be out. It was mentioned in the article that some 80% of the cost of a wedding is pre-paid.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I rread an internet article eariler this week about a couple who ended up getting married on Fri at what was planned as their rehersal dinner. That article mentioned how many couples lost a lot of money because of Irene and having to cancel. It didn't go into much detail but it sounds like couples should purchase insurance!
As far as you losing - mainly because you have already purchased supplies - eventually you will use most if not all of it so you really won't be out. It was mentioned in the article that some 80% of the cost of a wedding is pre-paid.

Yeah...I guess technically venues and stuff are going to be booked, too, so a couple can't just easily move a wedding like that.....hmmm.

I was even thinking like...what if I have all the cakes just sitting there ready to go and one of the venues loses power or whatever....well...I'll just figure it out IF it happens I guess!

momg9 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 6

A few years ago I had a bride call me the day before the wedding to say her fiance is in the hospital. I had all the cakes filled and crumb coated. It was 8 table cakes that would be topped with fresh fruit.

I wrapped and froze them from early July to the end of August when the wedding was rescheduled. Of course fresh fruit was a little harder to come by at the end of August, so we had to use frozen cherries and the fresh fruit I could get wasn't as good, but it worked out ok.

costumeczar Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 6

Usually people will change their plans to have the wedding early if they know some big storm is coming. If you know that there could be a problem call the bride ahead of time and ask what she's planning on doing. I called one bride on 2003 when we had a hurricane come through,a dn she moved the date up one day. She also said that I was the only VENDOR who called her, which I found crazy. (I think that I said "There's a hurricane coming through on your wedding day, so what's your plan B?")

I do have an Act of God clause in my contract, so if people told me that they were just going to wait and see what happened I'd probably tell them that I'd make the cake, but I couldn't guarantee that I'd be able to deliver the cake. I'd see if they wanted to have me deliver the cake early, but that if they weren't going to change their plans then they'd have to abide by the contract.

I did drive one cake through a literal flood one time to deliver it (my car only floated once though) icon_rolleyes.gif But in that case the bride had called and cancelled the wedding, and I hadn't gotten the message because I left before she called. Nobody knew that the roads were going to flood out. In a case like that she could have come to pick the cake up the following day or whatever, since it was already made. but I did make it to the venue, and they got married with just their families there, so at least they had a cake.

My contract says this in that particular clause: If A Cake To Remember cannot perform this agreement due to a fire, casualty, strike or other civil disturbances, Acts of God, including but not limited to, road closures, severe traffic, fire, terrorism or other causes beyond the control of the parties, or due to the baker's illness, then A Cake To Remember shall return any money paid by the client, less expenses, but shall have no further liability with respect to this agreement... In the event that any of the above conditions prevents A Cake To Remember from delivering a completed cake, no refunds will be issued, but the client will be given the option of picking the cake up the day of, or within one day of, the originally scheduled event.

I also have a section about cancellations and rescheduling, which would also apply.

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6

Do you have freezer space? You could make them and leave unassembled. If the events take place, assemble and deliver, if they don't, put them in boxes, and double bag them, and freeze them. When the event happens, thaw them and assemble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%