Urgent Help Needed Please! What Size Sps Plate To Use?

Decorating By cakesbycathy Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 3:28pm by cakesbycathy

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 2 tiered cake for a last minute christening. It will be an 8" round on top of 10" round. I have a 6" round plate and 9" round plate (of course I don't have the 8" round when I need it icon_rolleyes.gif )

I know not having the exact size is bad but the cake is for tomorrow so I obviously don't have time to get the right size. Which of the other 2 sizes would it be better to use under my 8" round tier? Is it better to use a plate that is too small or one that is a little too big?

I have to deliver this cake 30 min away and don't feel secure using something besides SPS.

6 replies
SugarFiend Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:14pm
post #2 of 7

I would try the 6", personally. I don't think the 1" overhang you'd have would be THAT big a deal if you have a cardboard under the 8" cake. If another tier would be stacked on top, it would be a different story.

You could always test it out before you assemble: setting the 8" cake on top of the assembled 6" plate and legs. That way you could see if it showed ay signs of drooping around the edges.

If you used the 9", you'd need a enormous 1/2" thick border to hide the plate.

I'd go 6". JMHO. I'm curious if anyone else has tried it, though!

luddroth Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 7

Haven't tried it, but I think I would go with the 6" also due to the border problem with the 9". I agree that since it's only 2 tiers, there will be enough support.

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, the 6"er will be fineicon_smile.gif
You don't really say but I get the impression this is a stacked cake so no need to worry about a border on the 8"er for a tiered cake. If that is the case, then of course use the 9 so you have a bit of room for a border.

leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 7

The 6" will be fine. Of course, use it with an 8" cardboard so the edges of the cake have some support.

Marla84 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

I'm not an SPS expert, but think about it this way... for a doweled cake, you would have your cake sitting on an 8" cake board and then a few dowels throughout. With SPS you still have your cake on a 8" cake board and then a full 6" plate of support underneath. Even with the SPS plate being smaller than the cake, it still seems like it would offer plenty of support.

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%