Help Needed With An 8" High Cake

Decorating By meenu Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm by cabecakes

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #1 of 6

I have a Building Cake coming up in a week. It will be two 8" square cakes totalling about 8" in height.

Should the top cake be on a cake board or placed directly on the bottom cake? What kind of support system would be required?

I'm a hobby baker and this is the first time I'm doing a cake so high. Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

5 replies
fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:56am
post #2 of 6

I have made a cake 11 inches tall and 10 inch wide... It depends on your cake. If your cake is sturdy or just regular cake like yellow, white or chocolate, then no need for board under each layer, just the very bottom.

But make sure put dowels from the top all thru the layers, maybe four or three, one in the middle and the rest towards the edge on the sides.

good luck

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 6

Same setup as any regular tiered cake. Board under the top tier and some sort of vertical support inside the bottom cake holding up the top one.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:33am
post #4 of 6

General rule of thumb is to have a cake board and dowels for every 4 inches of cake. Consider your cake, 2 independent cakes (1 8 inch square 4 inch high on it's own cake board) . You would place dowels into that cake, then another 8 inch cake on it's own cake board also 4 inches high.

I have made one exception to this and htat is when I do a 6 inch square because that is only 3 layers of cake. And I wasn't stacking anything on top of it.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for yor responses.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with sillywabbitz. A good rule of thumb is to use supports for every 4 inches you go up in heighth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%