How To Rent My Kitchen Out??

Business By ConfectionsCC Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm by cakesbycathy

ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:57am
post #1 of 5

I am almost finished building yay!!! Just out of curiosity.....what rules/laws are behind renting the space if a fellow cake friend wanted to try selling?? Not work for me, but just rent the kitchen out? I know that every state requires anyone working in a kitchen takes the safe serve class...Is that something I should see proof of before allowing someone to rent my kitchen? I don't want to get into trouble for that LOL! Wondering because I have a friend who bakes as a hobby, and I am sure she would appreciate having the space available to her when she might need it icon_biggrin.gif Any advice covering this question would be greatly appreciated!!

4 replies
KoryAK Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:13am
post #2 of 5

I did it in my kitchen here in Alaska (of course rules are different everywhere). I asked the health dept. and they didn't care at all from my end. The people renting needed their own licensing (business and health) and their health stuff listed me as the commissary kitchen. Whenever we get an inspection, they get the same rating as all of our stuff is intermingled. So basically, they had all the hoops to jump through and I just collected their rent check icon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 5

You will probably want a copy of the tenant's liability insurance (with your business as named or additional insured) and business license in addition to the ServSafe cert. Here in CA each tenant is inspected separately, which makes sense because part of the inspection involves how you handle your own ingredients.

ConfectionsCC Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks ya'll icon_biggrin.gif Great info!!!

cakesbycathy Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 5

I'd also have a very specific list of what they can and cannot use. Will they be allowed to use just the large equipment (oven, fridge, etc) or will they also be allowed to use your pans, tips, spatulas etc.

I would write down step-by-step instructions on how you expect the kitchen to be cleaned at the end of usage. Not everyone has the same standards on what consitutes a clean kitchen and you could end up doing a lot of extra work just to get it into the condition you want to work in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%