Icing A Cake To Look Professional?

Decorating By Kimzie Updated 6 Sep 2011 , 6:36pm by Kimzie

Kimzie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimzie Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 9

Hi everyone!
This may be a dumb question, but could someone tell me how to ice a cake? I love working with fondant because I truly can't ice a cake lol. However, I've been asked to make a couple cakes for a function using whipped icing and I'm a little nervous it'll come out really sloppy and a mess.
Please help!

Thanks,
Kimzie

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 9

Make sure you start with a relatively airless icing. Trying to smooth air out of icing once it's on a cake is very difficult to do.

Put on twice as much icing as you think you will need. Getting a smooth cake is more about removing excess than building it up. Purchase a flat scraper from a hardware store OR a bench scraper. I got a bench scraper from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for less than $10. It is basically a flat piece of metal (with measurements marked on the blade) and a rolled handle.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=10164168

I like the rolled handle because it gives you a little more control than a paint scraper with a longer handle. Anyway, get a turn table and put the rough-iced cake on it. I start to scrape from the back of the cake (only digging about 1/4 inch in), turning the table counterclockwise while the blade goes clockwise. You can get it fairly smooth in just a few passes using this method, but try to smooth in one complete turn. Otherwise you will get a lot of scraper/spatula marks.

Annie

Kimzie Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:06am
post #3 of 9

Annie,

Thank you so much for the wonderful advise! I will gladly take it all in and try it out! I didn't think of using a "scraper" lol.

Wish me luck!

Kimzie

AnnieCahill Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 10:44am
post #4 of 9

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out and take some pictures!

Cupcakeboy85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcakeboy85 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #5 of 9

I suggest you get Sharon Zambito " Art of Perfecting Buttercream" dvd

brett9008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brett9008 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:12am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Make sure you start with a relatively airless icing. Trying to smooth air out of icing once it's on a cake is very difficult to do.

Put on twice as much icing as you think you will need. Getting a smooth cake is more about removing excess than building it up. Purchase a flat scraper from a hardware store OR a bench scraper. I got a bench scraper from Bed, Bath, and Beyond for less than $10. It is basically a flat piece of metal (with measurements marked on the blade) and a rolled handle.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/Product.asp?SKU=10164168

I like the rolled handle because it gives you a little more control than a paint scraper with a longer handle. Anyway, get a turn table and put the rough-iced cake on it. I start to scrape from the back of the cake (only digging about 1/4 inch in), turning the table counterclockwise while the blade goes clockwise. You can get it fairly smooth in just a few passes using this method, but try to smooth in one complete turn. Otherwise you will get a lot of scraper/spatula marks.

Annie

And after you do all of this, use viva paper towels to smooth the icing once it has slightly crusted. This can only be done with viva brand towels. good luck

dst10spr97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dst10spr97 Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 4:41am
post #7 of 9

Also Edna De La Cruz has a great tutorial on you tube on icing a cake.

AnnieCahill Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:35am
post #8 of 9

[/quote]And after you do all of this, use viva paper towels to smooth the icing once it has slightly crusted. This can only be done with viva brand towels.[/quote]

OP mentioned she's using a whipped icing, which wouldn't crust.

If you were using a crusting icing, then you could go over it with a Viva or parchment paper.

Kimzie Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks once again for everyone, and all the great tips. I am however using a "whipped" butter cream which does not crust over. So paper towels will not be used this time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%