Dulce De Leche From Evaporated Milk - Is It Possible?

Baking By Aviaja Updated 13 Sep 2011 , 12:02am by therese379

Aviaja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aviaja Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 8

Hi.

I accidentally bought evaporated milk 10% instead of sweetened condensed milk. And I was thinking of using it for dulce de leche.

Can I perhaps boil a sugar sirup and mix with the can of evaporated milk, put it in a tray and placed it in the oven in a water bath for some time - and hope it will be any good? How much sugar is needed for one can?

Any thoughts on how to use unsweetened cans of milk are also welcome icon_wink.gif

7 replies
mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think it'll work.

Could you try a scratch caramelly recipe?

(I'm sorry this isn't much help, but I just don't think it'll work. I hope someone posts and tells me I'm wrong!)

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 8

I can't help you with the dulce de leche, but I use evaporated milk instead of milk in every cake recipe with the best results, eg.m if recipe calls for 1 cup milk, i put 3/4 evporated and 1/4th water, I yave done this for over 15 years with great result.

Aviaja Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 8

Is there no one who can come up with an idea for cooking caramel/dulce de leche from canned evaporated milk?

Help please! ♥♥♥

sjlilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjlilley Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 8

I just watched a good eats episode where Alton Brown made Tr Leche Cake. He used evaporated milk half and half and sweetened condensed milk Sounded incredible! His recipe for Dulche De Leche follows. Since Evaporated milk can be made into a "rough equivilent" to fresh milk by adding water I think you could make DDL with the reconstituted milk or even with the evaporated milk as is, however I'm not sure it would taste the same.
Dulce De Leche
Ingredients
1 quart whole milk
12 ounces sugar, approximately 1 1/2 cups
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions
Combine the milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a large, 4-quart saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Once the sugar has dissolved, add the baking soda and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and cook uncovered at a bare simmer. Stir occasionally, but do not re-incorporate the foam that appears on the top of the mixture. Continue to cook for 1 hour. Remove the vanilla bean after 1 hour and continue to cook until the mixture is a dark caramel color and has reduced to about 1 cup, approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer. Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to a month.

Hope this Helps!

Aviaja Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 10:05am
post #6 of 8

Thanks sjlilley - I will give it a go with that recipe.
I do need to translate the amounts to european measures, but hopefully it will turn out good!

Thank you for the recipe icon_smile.gif

Susita12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susita12 Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 8

The best way to get Dulce de Leche is to use a can of condensed milk. You put it in a pan with water (make sure to remove label) and cook it for a couple of hours. Remove it from pan and allow it to cool before opening it. Very simple and delicious.

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:02am
post #8 of 8

I have also boiled the can on the stove... turns out great... I added vanilla bean paste to cooled caramel... enjoy thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%