Cover Cake Board With Fondant For Stacking - Help!

Decorating By kimgra Updated 4 Sep 2011 , 10:53pm by kimgra

kimgra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimgra Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone! I need to make a cake for 100 ppl. It´s a 3 layer cake, I´ve found tutorials on how to stack cakes, but what I don´t know how to do is to cover the cake with the base underneath, Im afraid that the base will be noticeable. It has a hello kitty topper wich is very heavy, should I add an additional support on the top layer??? I think it will be better if I stack the cakes when I get to the event I will prepare them with the dowels before the filling Im using is dulce de leche wich is the most common in my country I hope this filling will hold the cake properly. Thanks in advance for your help icon_biggrin.gif Here is the cake I designed using photoshop

2 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:23am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgra

It´s a 3 layer cake,

Do you mean a three-tier cake for 100?

Quote:

Im afraid that the base will be noticeable.

What are you using as a base? If it's a cake circle, it won't show because it will be under the cake the entire time including while you're applying the fondant.

Quote:

It has a hello kitty topper wich is very heavy, should I add an additional support on the top layer???

If you really think it's that heavy, additional support wouldn't hurt.

Quote:

I will prepare them with the dowels before the filling

I don't see how you can prepare cakes with dowels before the filling process. The layers need supports AFTER you know how tall they will be with both cake and filling.

kimgra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimgra Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much for your reply! Im sorry the cake was a 3 tier cake, not 3 layers. I used a cardboard base in each tier wrapped with aluminum foil. I cut the boards slightly smaller than the cake. The 2nd tier gave me a lot of trouble, the fondant on the bottom was loose I guess the base should have been bigger? But when I placed the 3 tiers together I wasn't that obvious. I actually placed the dowels after the filling but before the fondant and buttercream it worked just fine, is that the way you are supposed to do it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%