300 Cupcakes

Baking By DaniCupcakeDelights Updated 9 Sep 2011 , 4:40am by salokin

DaniCupcakeDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniCupcakeDelights Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for 300 cupcakes, does anyone have a recipe for this type of thing??

I am making chocolate sour cream and vanilla bean.

I have recipes for both, but they make at the most 2 dozen.

9 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #2 of 10

Depending on the size of your mixer, you can double the recipe. But do you then have room in your oven for all the pans?

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:08am
post #3 of 10

I have not made 300 but I have made 240. First, I had all my frostings and/or fillings prepared and first bagfuls ready and all my ingredients for the cake setting out at room temperature. Then for the cakes, I doubled the recipe. I don't like to bake more than 48 at at time anyway because in my home oven there begins to be too much steam if I bake more than that. Plus the recipe quality does not stay the same. I know that in the Cake Bible Rose Levy Beranbaum has a recipe for large batches but I do not know how it would relate to cupcakes.

Any way, to continue one, I bake the 48 cupcakes. While those are baking I measure out and begin to prepare the next double batch including having cake tins lined (I have many tins). Once the first batch is out then I finish making the second batch and put them in the oven. By this time the first batch is usually cool enough to remove from the tins. So I prepare them for the next batch and get the ingredients ready for the third batch but I do not mix yet. I wait until the second batch of 48 is out of the oven and then I begin frosting the now cooled first batch. About half way through I remove the second batch from their tins to finish cooling. Then I finish the first batch and frost the second batch. I do not let more than 8 dozen cupcakes sit out at a time before I frost them so that they can stay as moist as possible.

Once all cupcakes from the first 96 are frosted then I begin on the third and fourth. It would take me about 7 - 8 hours to make 300 with this method (it took me about 6 to make 240). HTH

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 10

thx heartsnsync for info, a lot of work.

lilsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilsis Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 10

I recently made cupcakes for my nephew's wedding and used the WASC recipes for vanilla and chocolate cuppies. I only had to make one batch of each flavor and made 5 dozen of per flavor for a total of 120 cupcakes.....so my suggestion would be to use the WASC recipe...

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 10

I've done 150 and used HeartSync's method, 48 at a time with everything prepped and ready to go. Mine were very simply decorated with a 1M squirt in the middle, then I poked in a candy melt and called it done. They were donated for elementary school kids.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 10

Are you baking in a home oven and if so, do you put 2 - 12's on the bottom and the top racks?

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 10

Have boxes folded with inserts in them and icings made the day before. I stored the icing in the extra large zip lock bags so when I needed to fill the piping bags, I just cut a hole in the corner of the zip lock and squeezed in the icing. Bake the cuppies the night before the wedding (48 at a time-doubled recipe). While cooling, bake the next round of 48. When first 48 are cool, put them into the inserts in the boxes-UNFROSTED. Pipe the swirl on the cupcakes once a whole box is full. (I got this tip from a fellow cc-er and it was terrific! You never worried about ruining your icing.) I put the MMF and gumpaste toppers on the next day at the wedding venue because I was too afraid of the MMF melting on the buttercream. With this method, you get 48 done at a clip- it went a lot faster than the cutting cake! OK just realized my post is VERY similar to nsync's. So that's twice the affirmation of the this method!

The boxes:
http://www.brpboxshop.com/2376.html

The inserts:
http://www.brpboxshop.com/1498.html

The finished product:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2117413
icon_wink.gif

DaniCupcakeDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniCupcakeDelights Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 10

Wow!!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up doubling some of the recipes.

Then I came up with another issue where the liners that I bought (bulk) lost the color and looked really bad, so I had to take ribbon and wrap them around each cupcake. It was a lot of work and in total took about 12 hours.

But, everything came out lovely!

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 4:40am
post #10 of 10

Just find the conversion factor of your existing recipes.

Take the new yield, in this 300, and divide it by the old yield, let's say 24.

so its 300/24 which gives you 12.5. Take this number and multiply ever ingredient amount by it.

This would give you the amount of each ingredient needed to get enough batter for 300 cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%