What To Use Other Then Wires For Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By AMOVERBY Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm by JenniferMI

AMOVERBY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMOVERBY Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 5

I was wondering what else I could use other then wires when making gumpaste flowers. I've read somewhere that people use spagehetti, toothpicks and mini dowel rods or sucker sticks. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas, tips or suggestions with using things other then wire.

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

It is going to depend on what you are doing. If you are making something like a rose, where you make the base on something, either wire, spaghetti or toothpicks, then you attach the petals to the base then you can use many things as your 'stick'.

If you are doing a flower that has individually wired petals to it, I'm not sure you can replace the wires with anything. You need something thin to work with the thinness of the petals and something that is flexible so you can adjust the wire/petals and connect them together.

AMOVERBY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AMOVERBY Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

I'm going to be making chrysantemums and roses, so they won't be individual petals. I was just concerned spagehtti would soften or break easily, toothpicks splinters and the sticks too thick. So was just wondering what other people prefer over wires.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

Spaghetti is used as an edible option. The idea behind it is that if someone eats it it won't hurt them. I haven't had toothpicks splinter myself, and since they are made to be used in your mouth they would a be a safe option inserting it into a cake. You just want to make sure that you tell who ever is getting the cake that there are toothpicks attached to the flowers and for them to be careful.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 5

Round toothpicks work great. If you are inserting spaghetti into a cake, it can soften, just so you know that.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%