Help With Edible Cake Toppers

Decorating By sammyclarke Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 5:16pm by TexasSugar

sammyclarke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammyclarke Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 3

hi there icon_biggrin.gif i must say i am loving making cakes and i love makeing toppers ect on wire but im looking for some help on what is best to use for say a train cake topper for a boys cake or a teddy bear that i would like to make edible am i best useing gum paste, modleing paste or fondant as i no that flower paste drys far to hard :/ any help would be great thanks x

2 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 3

For smaller items, gumpaste or a mixture of fondant/gumpaste works well. If you need something larger, you can make the basic shapes out of either carved cake or rice krispy treats and then cover with fondant.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 3

Flower paste and gum paste could be the same thing, different countries do you different terminologies. Gumpaste will dry hard.

Most fondants need something added to them to help hold the shapes. You can mix gumpaste, gum-tex, cmc, tylose or gum trag in with it. But again this will end up drying out. The earlier you do it the harder it will get.

If you are looking something that can be bitten into, and eaten if they want, then you may want to look in to Modeling chocolate or candy clay.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%