Will This Work?

Decorating By vgray Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 2:55am by Annabakescakes

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 12

I love my scratch yellow cake recipe. It uses 4 large eggs. However, I was wondering if I could make it a white cake by replacing the 4 large eggs with 8 egg whites. Will this work or should I use less egg whites, like maybe 6?

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 12

Ummm . . . no, 3 whole eggs is NOT the same amount as 3 egg whites.

OP, you've got it correct.

vgray Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Leah_s, i didn't want too many eggs mixed in lol!

Paula, thank you for your response but baking from scratch and baking from a box are two totally different things.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 12

Vgray, I don't scratch bake, but what about weighting the 4 eggs then weighting out the same weight in egg whites to see how many equals that amount? That would help narrow it down between 6 or 8 egg whites wouldn't it?

vgray Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 12

Texas sugar, that would work but my poor scale got left near the oven and warped from the heat and i haven't had the chance to get a new one. icon_sad.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 12

Awww, poor scale indeed.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 12

Egg yolks are all fat, whites have more water... I can't remember the exact substitution ratio but my recipe calls for more yolk then whites by weight if I want a yellow or white cake. Did that make sense? It's in the Cake Bible how to interchange the two.

Jen

vgray Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 12

My cakes don't come out YELLOW lol it's a very subtle yellow. I haven't had anyone get upset that it isn't yellow enough or true white. However, I do want to know if I can make it a true white by replacing the yolks with more whites. I will have to give it a go soon and test it out. I'll also have to look into buying the Cake Bible.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgray

My cakes don't come out YELLOW lol it's a very subtle yellow. I haven't had anyone get upset that it isn't yellow enough or true white. However, I do want to know if I can make it a true white by replacing the yolks with more whites. I will have to give it a go soon and test it out. I'll also have to look into buying the Cake Bible.

Yes, you can make a very white cake by replacing the butter with shortening, whites for yolks, and either clear vanilla (yuck - fake) or almond extract for the flavoring. It comes out super white like angel food cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:44am
post #10 of 12

oops/

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:53am
post #11 of 12

oops!\\

Annabakescakes Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 2:55am
post #12 of 12

I give up!