Traveling W/bettercreme/buttercream Cake In 100+ Degrees?

Decorating By BabyGSR Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm by bakerliz

BabyGSR Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 3

Has anybody traveled more than 4 hrs to the wedding with the cake in 100 degrees heat? I mean AC will be on and stuff. I 'm planing to do bettercreme on the cakes but if the heat not going to hold the cake or melts it, I was going to sub it with buttercream instead. Please let me know with your experience.

2 replies
Sweetcakes23 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 3

I have traveled that far, but only with fondant covered sorry. My best suggestion would be to have it well refrigerated first, cover windows with dark plastic or newspaper to keep sun off, and of course the air cranked, and don't forget your coat! LOL

bakerliz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 3

I have only done 2 hours, but I have done it in that heat and with 100% humidity. I actually used fondant, but I had a full 1/4-1/2in of buttercream underneath that. Here's what I did:

I box each tier separately and at room temperature. I have a little car, so I put down 1/2 of the back seat to air condition the trunk and then drive around the block with the A/C on full blast until the trunk is icy cold. Then while the car is running (every second of A/C counts where I live) I quickly position the cakes in the trunk on non skid mats. I close the trunk and I'm on my way! There is absolutely no stopping unless there is someone to stay in the car with the A/C running. LOL

I should also mention that the buttercream recipe I use is 1/2 shortenting and 1/2 butter.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%