Rip Her Legs Off?!

Decorating By VannaD Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 1:12am by kel58

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a 2 tiered cake, 6 inch on an 8 inch, with barbie popping out of the top. If I make the top tier the standard 4 inches, it only goes up to barbies knees, I need it to go to her waist. There are a few cakes in the galleries that look the normal height, how is this done? Do I take her legs off? Im also wondering if I drive this cake an hour ( on Louisiana roads) is it going to shake the barbie around and make the top tier crack? I know I've seen this discussed but when I searched it I kept getting error messages, so I really appreciate the help. Thank you!

10 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 11
kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 11

What about using a wilton doll pick? I think they might be a little smaller then a real barbie doll but im not sure. If you are stacking a 6" and an 8" you would have 8" inches of cake right? If you didn't want to rip the legs off barbie, could you just have her go right into both layers? I just did my first barbie dress cake last week. I made a hole in the cake just big enough for barbie and then piped some icing on her legs and tucked her in. The icing stoped her from jiggling around. I chilled the cake and transported it an hour away with no issues.
If this barbie is going to be something a birthday girl is going to want to keep, make sure you can actually re-attatch legs if you take them off. I remember barbie loosing her head as a child and it never going back on. lol
Good luck.

Irish_Sue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish_Sue Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 11

Doll pick is a good way forward or how about making the cake in a pudding bowl? That way you get the big ball gown skirt shape without carving and you can probably find one deep enough for Barbie with legs icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 11

From my understanding she is asking about having a barbie jump out of the top cake, not a barbie doll cake with a dress.

I'd probably consider the doll pick from Wilton first. It will be cheaper than buying an actual barbie to tear up.

VannaD Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you all for your quick replies. I wasn't really clear, it's going to be a normal stacked cake, not a ball gown type cake. There will be a board under the 6inch, so she wont be able to stick her legs through the 6 & the 8. Ive seen cakes like this in the gallery that appear to have an actual barbie stuck in them. If you'd like to look, type in barbie, and on page 6 or 7 they have a couple. I hadn't thought of the wilton pick, im going to look at it, but I think I might just rip her legs off. I want it to look kind of glamorous like a real barbie. Thank you all for your tips and that link, & I would appreciate anything else you can offer!

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 11

If it is the one on page 6 it does look like the legs may have been taken off. Have you tried messaging the person who posted the pic?? maybe they can tell you how they did it. Just a thought

kel58 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:08pm
post #8 of 11

I had a board in the middle of my barbie gown cake, didn't want 7 inch pieces of cake served. I found a round cookie cutter that just fit over barbies hips and used that to measure a circle in the middle of the board (cut it with an knife) and used it to measure the hole I cut in the cake. Maybe i just got lucky having them line up really well, but it worked.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 11

Yes. I've cut the board in just a Barbie dress cake, so that her legs would go all the way through. Easy.

VannaD Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:38am
post #10 of 11

Thanks everyone! I hadn't thought of cutting a hole in the board, I think I'll do that! Thanks again to everyone who took time to reply, you guys are great.

kel58 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:12am
post #11 of 11

Im going to put this out there, since all you ladies have experience with a barbie cake. As I was carving a hole out of my barbie cake, I thought "damn I should have put a heating core in this cake so i didnt have to carve out this hole." I know you would have to make darn sure you got it centered, but has anyone tried this? Seems like it would save a step if you got it right.
Just a thought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%