Buttercream

Baking By Cheryle228 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 4:51pm by JanH

Cheryle228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheryle228 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 11:23am
post #1 of 6

How come i can't seem to make a good buttercream or in that matter any frosting/icing?
I have tried tons of recipes and they all come out like to watery and looks like it's melting off the cupcake..
I want a thick creamy frosting that will hold up.

5 replies
cakelady1802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1802 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 6

I use a recipe that is 100g Unsalted butter, 300g icing sugar and half a tsp vanilla. Mix it all together and add a little milk until you get the consistency you like. I like this recipe because you can make it as thin or as stiff as you want depending on what you are using it for. This is generally used in the uk, I have never tried an imbc or smbc. Hth

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:11pm
post #3 of 6

Do you use a crusting buttercream? I live in a very humid area and when I first started making buttercream it would melt off the cupcakes or cakes. I never wanted to use shortening in my buttercreams but I found that it helps to stabilize the texture of the bc. Both Indydebi and SugarShack (Sharon Zambito) have a crusting buttercream that are both delicious and crust so there's no chance of melting off the cupcakes!

I'll find the links to both recipes and post them!

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 6

If you're doing a SMBC, maybe you're not beating it long enough. If it's an american buttercream, just cut back on the liquid. HTH! icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%