Question About Wasc Or Scratch

Baking By amaryllis756 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 1:04am by kakeladi

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:07am
post #1 of 5

Do these make a real dense cake? Can you get a nice dome from using this recipe? Is the amount of beating of the cake make a difference? I am thinking of either going to this or start baking from scratch. Last time I tried baking from scratch, I almost gave up because of all the different result I had. To me each recipe is very unpredicable. I was not as experience as I am now, so it was very frustrating. My family keeps encouraging me to go to scratch. I don't have a lot of time to experiment now beings that it is my busiest season. Any suggestions or encouragement either way? Thanks.

4 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:22am
post #2 of 5

Just used the WASC recipe for a stacked birthday cake. Turned out great! Stacked easily. Was dense enough but stayed really moist. I did cover all layers with Saran Wrap after it had cooled, but did not refridgerate. Everyone thought it was made from scratch. Good luck!

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 5

I'd love to know if there is a way to make WASC from scratch instead of the cake box mixes. I can taste the difference and I was hoping to be able to use my own cake flour, so i"ll keep posted on here.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

I'm wondering the same thing as OP. I'm looking for a great doctored recipe for cupcakes but don't want to try all the ones I find on the internet unless I know they've gotten good reviews already.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5

......Do these make a real dense cake? Can you get a nice dome from using this recipe? .....

It does make the cake more dense than a straight out of the box mix but real dense? No I don't think so. My *original* WASC recipe almost always produces a very flat cake *with out* the hump most from the box mixes bake up with.

......a way to make WASC from scratch instead of the cake box mixes.......

There is a link somewhere on this site that someone has posted a 'from scratch' version. Sorry, I can't find it right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%