Question About Wasc Or Scratch

Baking By amaryllis756 Updated 2 Sep 2011 , 1:04am by kakeladi

amaryllis756 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:07am
post #1 of 5

Do these make a real dense cake? Can you get a nice dome from using this recipe? Is the amount of beating of the cake make a difference? I am thinking of either going to this or start baking from scratch. Last time I tried baking from scratch, I almost gave up because of all the different result I had. To me each recipe is very unpredicable. I was not as experience as I am now, so it was very frustrating. My family keeps encouraging me to go to scratch. I don't have a lot of time to experiment now beings that it is my busiest season. Any suggestions or encouragement either way? Thanks.

4 replies
cutiger Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 9:22am
post #2 of 5

Just used the WASC recipe for a stacked birthday cake. Turned out great! Stacked easily. Was dense enough but stayed really moist. I did cover all layers with Saran Wrap after it had cooled, but did not refridgerate. Everyone thought it was made from scratch. Good luck!

CupcakeQT82 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 5

I'd love to know if there is a way to make WASC from scratch instead of the cake box mixes. I can taste the difference and I was hoping to be able to use my own cake flour, so i"ll keep posted on here.

rlowry03 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 12:46am
post #4 of 5

I'm wondering the same thing as OP. I'm looking for a great doctored recipe for cupcakes but don't want to try all the ones I find on the internet unless I know they've gotten good reviews already.

kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5

......Do these make a real dense cake? Can you get a nice dome from using this recipe? .....

It does make the cake more dense than a straight out of the box mix but real dense? No I don't think so. My *original* WASC recipe almost always produces a very flat cake *with out* the hump most from the box mixes bake up with.

......a way to make WASC from scratch instead of the cake box mixes.......

There is a link somewhere on this site that someone has posted a 'from scratch' version. Sorry, I can't find it right now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%