How Do I Get Shiny Fondant?

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 5 Sep 2011 , 12:40pm by Swede-cakes

Sweetlepea Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #1 of 16

I'm making my nephew a cake for his birthday, and he requested a Nintendo DS out of fondant to put on the top of it. I want to make it shiny, how do I go about doing that? I've heard of Vodka, does it work? If it does, will it alter the taste? He's only 11 and LOVES my fondant! So hed be dissapointed if it didnt taste the same.

15 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 16

You can steam it with an actual steamer or if you have an airbrush you can spray it with water. Im not sure about the vodka.

Kaykaymay Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:14am
post #3 of 16

You can try this:

Edible Varnish
1 tsp. gelatin
3 tsp. water
1 tsp. liquid glucose

Sprinkle gelatin in the water, let stand until spongy, dissolve until clear over hot water not boiling add liquid glucose and stir until ingredients are well combined, put it in an airtight container. the mix will get very stiff, to use it, heat in a container of hot not boiling water paint onto item while still hot. do not refrigerate.

Or you can rub the fondant with shortening.

Kaykaymay Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:16am
post #4 of 16

Vodka wont work (i've tried) and if you're making the cake for kids I don't think it would be appropriate.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:20am
post #5 of 16

Even if you do the vodka, it evaporates and is totally safe to use on any cake.

southerncross Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:43am
post #6 of 16

Another poster on another thread suggested using a mixture of equal parts vodka and corn syrup to brush on fondant for shine. I tried it on black fondant and it was wonderful. The black fondant ends up looking like patent leather.

Don't worry about the alcohol because the vodka evaporates No one is going to get a buzz off this combo. The corn syrup loses it stickiness after the alcohol evaporates. I tried it on gumpaste and found the corn syrup left a very slightly tacky feel but just barely.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:45am
post #7 of 16

I heard of the corn syrup and vodka mixture as well. I'm gonna try that myself one of these days.

graciesj Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 2:54am
post #8 of 16

Vodka is safe, it evaporates no worriesicon_smile.gif Also the steamer works too.

cheatize Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 3:12am
post #9 of 16

I tried the vodka/corn syrup combo this week. Two days later and it's still sticky.

graciesj Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 3:39am
post #10 of 16

avoid the corn syrup...I never use that combo.icon_smile.gif

shuswapcakes Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 3:57am
post #11 of 16

I've noticed that most, if not all, of the cake shows on TV use those steamers on their cakes to make them shiny when they're done. I always wondered how they got them like that! Are these just regular steamers that they're using or are these some sort of "special" cake steamers they have?

SRumzis Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 7:59am
post #12 of 16

The trick to the corn syrup vodka mix is you have to nuke it, I believe it was for 20 seconds or so for 1 T of each. It combines them for good so the corn syrup won't pool. It doesn't work at all for me unless I nuke it, then it works wonderfully. Make sure the surface of your fondant doesn't have any excess shortening on it. That can cause this mixture to pool also. You can add gel coloring to it too. I used it for my Maker's Mark cake in my pics. Hth!

graciesj Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 16

yes they just use regular steamersicon_smile.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:13pm
post #14 of 16

Just yesterday, I was wishing I had a steamer! Had a dark chocolate fondant wedding cake, and it had a matte finish. So I used my clothes iron on the steam setting and it worked nicely. Held it carefully about 2-3" from the cake with iron tip pointed up. By starting on the bottom tier first, the tier above that would also get shiny as the steam rose in the air. Pretty cool trick in a pinch! Good luck!

southerncross Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 10:16pm
post #15 of 16

Until I figured out I could use my little hand held clothes steamer, I used to hold my dried and finished sugar paste flowers over the steaming tea kettle...and then made myself a proper cuppa!

Swede-cakes Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:40pm
post #16 of 16

Lol, southerncross! The things we do for cake-beauty, huh?! I saw travel steamers in Target the other day...Is that like the one you have?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%