Making Cake- Sift Flour Or ....

Baking By cshelz Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 2:11am by cshelz

cshelz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:25am
post #1 of 4

Hi

I wanted to see who sifts their all purpose flour or use cake flour? I am trying it both ways.

Thanks

3 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:49am
post #2 of 4

I've used both myself however I prefer cake flour.

itsacake Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:52am
post #3 of 4

Cake flour is made from softer wheat and milled more finely than all purpose flour. It is usually (but not always) bleached--I have both bleached and unbleached flour in my kitchen. The protein, thus the gluten content, of cake flour is significantly lower than that of cake flour.

To approximate a cup of cake flour in a recipe, when you only have all purpose on hand, you need to use 2 Tablespoons less AP flour and add 2 Tablespoons cornstarch. This will approximate the gluten content of cake flour. The crumb will not be exactly the same, but similar.

Sifting is always a good idea. My mentor chef always advocated sifting 3 times for a delicate cake, and usually once for any old thing. This has stood me in good stead and I'm usually sorry when I don't sift. (But I"m buying flour in 50 lb bags, so if you are not, it may not be as crucial).

Hope this helps--maybe more than you wanted to know LOL

cshelz Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:11am
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much! Wow i love all the help and advice. I will sift from now on. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%