Smash Cake Question

Decorating By Jamie_L Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm by mandyloo

Jamie_L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamie_L Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 12

Can smash cakes safely be covered in fondant? I would think that the chewy consistency of fondant would be difficult for one year olds to eat and could possibly cause them to choke. Yet I see tons of smash cakes covered in fondant. Just looking for your advice, comments or suggestions.

11 replies
cakingformykids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingformykids Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 12

My baby just turned 1 and their cake was covered in fondant. dug their hand right threw it no issues icon_smile.gif

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:07am
post #3 of 12

I'm not a big fan of fondant on smash cakes, but that is just me. If you are doing it for yourself, you could always peel it off. If you are making it for a customer, I would definitely discuss your concerns with them about it possibly being a choking hazard.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:10am
post #4 of 12

I avoid using fondant on smash cakes, but as long as the child is supervised, it probably isn't a problem. I also don't put small fondant decorations on smash cakes. Too easy to choke on! I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:32am
post #5 of 12

Buttercream smashes much better than fondant!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:39am
post #6 of 12

I too am not a fan of fondant smash cakes. Just because of the way it flips around in a big wad. Gross! I never thought of it being a choking hazard, but I suppose it could be.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:56am
post #7 of 12

I prefer BC smash cakes as well!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:01am
post #8 of 12

I did my grandson's smash cake in BC--and I talk others into BC when I do a smash cake for someone else.

I'm just more comfortable with it, knowing that BC will slide down easier than a chunk of fondant.

It's for my own peace of mind--and the child doesn't care icon_wink.gif

Rae

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:14am
post #9 of 12

Hard food is much more likely to be a choking hazard than something chewy like fondant. Most 1 year olds without special eating issues would be perfectly fine eating fondant.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:23am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Hard food is much more likely to be a choking hazard than something chewy like fondant. Most 1 year olds without special eating issues would be perfectly fine eating fondant.

Marshmallows and hot dogs are big choking hazards, and I wouldn't consider them to be hard. Peanuts, raisins, and chicken bones are hard big ones that are hard. I think it has more to do with the size of the food, rather than texture.

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 12

I offer smash cakes in buttercream with an explanation of choking hazard, but if the mom insists on fondant for the smash cake, hey, it's her kid.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

Chewy is definitely as dangerous as hard. When I was little my mother was a home health nurse for a kid my age that had choked on marshmallows at age two and was permanently brain damaged.

Sorry to go slightly off topic...just had to throw that in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%