Favorite Doctored Mix For Cupcakes?

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 12:05am by pettmybunny

rlowry03 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 3

I'm looking for the best doctored cake mix recipe for cupcakes.

I've tried adding a box of pudding and an extra egg. They tasted good, but the cupcake tops all fell. I'm not sure they were cooked enough.

I'm curious about the WASC recipe for cupcakes. Good or bad?

Or are there any other good recipes out there? I like scratch baking, but it's just too expensive right now.

2 replies
fsinger84 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 3

I thought the WASC cupcakes came out dry and not fluffy enough for me.

I bake everything from scratch at the moment so thats all the advice I have LOL.

pettmybunny Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:05am
post #3 of 3

Sometimes I scratch, sometimes I wasc. They are both good. If your wasc cuppies come out dry, they've been overbaked. They will seem "sticky" to the touch when you check them. If you toothpick check them, a few crumbs sticking to the toothpick means it's done.

I find that baking at 400 for 7 minutes, then dropping the temperature to 350 for 10-11 minutes makes for a nice dome on the cupcakes, whether they are scratch or wasc.

Every now and then I will get the "volcano" look on my cupcakes. Sometimes, it's too much leavening. Sometimes, I've beaten the batter too much. The nice thing about cupcakes-- once you stick a frosting swirl on there, you'll never know about the fallen cupcake tops.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%