Does Anyone's Wilton Meringue Powder Smell Funny?

Baking By SweetcakesCT Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 1:50pm by KathysCC

SweetcakesCT Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 7

I recently bought a 4oz container of meringue powder from A.C. Moore, a and when I opened it at home it smelled sour and generally gross. I returned it, and on my way home, stopped at WalMart to get more. To my surprise, that can didn't smell so great either. I don't remember having this problem before. Any thoughts? TIA

6 replies
metria Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 7

hmm ... my can smells a little like vanilla. doesn't smell gross. did you get a chance to check their expiration dates? i keep mine in the fridge, even though the can says you don't have to.

KSMill Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 7

I had a can rof another brand recently that didn't smell bad, but when I added it to the buttercream, which I've done forever, it gave it a bitter afterbite. I stopped using it and switched back to the Wilton.

Elcee Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:11pm
post #4 of 7

Call me crazy but I love the smell of meringue powder icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif. I've never thought it smelled sour.

Is it possible there's an "off" batch out there? Especially since you got it from 2 different stores. You might want to contact Willton.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:18pm
post #5 of 7

yeah, mine smells delicious!!!!

SweetcakesCT Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:09am
post #6 of 7

I love the smell of meringue powder too, but these two cans were funky, to say the least. Thanks for the replies, and the suggestion to contact Wilton. Ain't CakeCentral wonderful?

KathysCC Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:50pm
post #7 of 7

Well, my opinion differs a little. To me Wilton meringue does have a sharp and kind of sour smell. I don't like the way it smells at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%