karengary1991 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:42pm
post #1 of

I was wondering if you can freeze gum paste flowers ? Will they wilt / melt when taken out of the freezer ? They will only be in the freezer for about 5 days. Thanks for any help !

6 replies
Justforfun751 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of

You should never freeze gum paste flowers - condensation will ruin them.

To store, put in a loosely covered box (to avoid condensation) at room temperature and if possible, put in a packet of dessicant (not sure if I spelled that right - its the stuff they put in boxes to absorb any moisture, usually some kind of pellets in a small paper packet). Keep out of light to minimize fading. They should last at least 6 months to a year.

milkmaid42 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:56pm
post #3 of

What would be your purpose in freezing them when they dry and keep so well? Although I have never had a problem with humidity affecting my gum paste flowers, I have heard others who find it very difficult to deal with. I would think that the moisture encountered by freezing them would act the same.
If you must freeze a decorated cake, I would suggest you wait until it is thawed and moisture evaporated before you place your flowers.

Jan

MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:16am
post #4 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkmaid42 

What would be your purpose in freezing them when they dry and keep so well? Although I have never had a problem with humidity affecting my gum paste flowers, I have heard others who find it very difficult to deal with. I would think that the moisture encountered by freezing them would act the same.
If you must freeze a decorated cake, I would suggest you wait until it is thawed and moisture evaporated before you place your flowers.

Jan

milkmaid42:  Glad you added this information. Thank You Jan.

I have a cake I'm making today for this weekend and it  will have gumpaste snowflakes on it.  I'm going to have to put it in the freezer (SMBC).

I wasn't sure if I should put the gumpaste snowflakes on the cake and put it all in the freezer - completely decorated  -or-  add the snowflakes after the cake is thawed and just before taking it to my friends house.

I'll follow your suggestion.

Thanks

buddycarol Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 3:02pm
post #5 of

AI do keep my finished cakes in the refrigerator until delivery so that they transport better, even with gumpaste flowers and have never had a problem with the gumpaste (knock on wood)

MBalaska Posted 10 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #6 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddycarol 

I do keep my finished cakes in the refrigerator until delivery so that they transport better, even with gumpaste flowers and have never had a problem with the gumpaste (knock on wood)

buddycarol:  Thanks.  

Yes it makes sense with SMBC to chill it & firm it up before delivering.  The gumpaste decorations would stick like crazy on a chilled cake!!

I can see why people buy large commercial fridges for their home cake business.  I can barely get one small cake into mine at a time. Luckily I'm just a hobby baker.

MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 2:12am
post #7 of

Thanks for the advise.  I made my first SMBC all butter wedding cake.  I put all the gumpaste decorations on today.  Sat the cakes in the car (It's 45 degrees out) to fridgerate the cakes before I delivered them. Everything stayed on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%