New Wilton Silicone Fondant/gumpaste Molds

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm by ycknits

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 5

Just bought the new Wilton Silicone mold. The buttons and ribbons one, since that's a good theme for my mom's birthday this weekend.

Anyone used these and have any tips/suggestions? The buttons seem easy enough, but I'm a bit puzzled how to get a ribbon long enough to wrap around a cake that is imprinted and still look seamless.

4 replies
Eva2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eva2 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 5

I love them, have them all. I just put corn starch in them before I put the fondant in. Not sure how you would get that seamless.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 5

I prefer to put 50/50 cornstarch/conf. sugar on the top of the fondant/gumpaste rather than in the mold. Keeps it from sticking, but prevents the powder from filling spaces in the mold and losing detail. As far as the seam, you just need to splice the pieces and rub over the seams with your finger, sometimes a tiny drop of water helps to melt the seam together as well.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 5

When the weather is on the hot side, I put the filled mold in the freezer for 5 min. or so. it helps with unmolding and the fondant resists stretching when you are putting it on the cake. That might help with the ribbon. Hope you post a pic of your final work.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 5

The molds work pretty well. I've used the buttons and the paisley ones so far. They're kind of stiff.... not as flexible as the nice blue silicon ones, but are okay. I found that they release maybe too well... i.e. the fondant would rather stick to my finger packing it into the mold than to the mold. So my solution has been to rub shortening on my pusher finger periodically.

The molds have very nice finished ends on the ribbon strips, so I haven't worried about trying to merge them on the cake. If I were to do that, I'd cut off the end design from each end of the molded ribbon, apply a little gumpaste glue to the cut ends and then attach them together. Then rub a greased finger over the join to smooth it out. Alternatively, you can put a button over the join... just kidding.

Here's a cake that I just did using the button mold.... worked great!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2142096

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%