Attaching Carousel Horses To Poles

Decorating By orianaklump Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm by orianaklump

orianaklump Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orianaklump Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm making a carousel cake in a couple weeks and the horses are going to be made from gumpaste. (Just 2D figures not 3D) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the horse to the pole (colored skewer sticks) I was thinking about pushing the stick through the gumpaste but I don't want to make the horses that thick. I also thought about placing the stick on the back of the horse and "gluing" another peice of gumpaste over the stick and to the back of the horse.
I usually use egg whites to "glue" my gumpaste, is there a better alternative? I don't want the horses to fall off or slide down the poles......What would be the best way to attach the horses to the poles?

4 replies
debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orianaklump

I'm making a carousel cake in a couple weeks and the horses are going to be made from gumpaste. (Just 2D figures not 3D) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to attach the horse to the pole (colored skewer sticks) I was thinking about pushing the stick through the gumpaste but I don't want to make the horses that thick. I also thought about placing the stick on the back of the horse and "gluing" another peice of gumpaste over the stick and to the back of the horse.
I usually use egg whites to "glue" my gumpaste, is there a better alternative? I don't want the horses to fall off or slide down the poles......What would be the best way to attach the horses to the poles?

This is how I would do it. I'd lay them flat until they are completly dry, they when you stand them up, they shouldn't slide down.

orianaklump Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 5

Do you mean sliding the stick into the gumpaste or just attaching the horse to the stick and letting it dry like that? What would you use as a glue?

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry, I bolded your text of what I would do. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought it would be. icon_redface.gif

place the stick on the back of the horse and "gluing" another peice of gumpaste over the stick and to the back of the horse

This is what I would do. I usually use water with a little tylose mixed in for glue. I've heard a lot of people use egg whites and it works well. I've just never done that. You can also use gum glue. Just put a little ball of gumpaste in some water and let it disolve.

I wouldn't apply too much glue. Just enough to get them to stick together. Good luck icon_smile.gif

orianaklump Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%