Wasc Recipe Using New Sized Bc?

Baking By valcomer Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 2:10am by paula0712

valcomer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valcomer Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 9:39am
post #1 of 8

since betty crocker changed their cake mix down by 2 oz. each box, how would you adjust the recipe for the wasc cake recipe?...is there a new recipe out for this adjustment...thanks!!

7 replies
Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:06pm
post #2 of 8

I too, noticed the change in size, and would love to know how to change this recipe!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 8

Take a 3rd box of mix, shake the bag well to mix ingredients, weigh out 4 oz. and add.

Rae

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 8

Rae, Did you try it using a 3rd box, or are you just suggesting we give this a try?

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

No, I haven't tried it, but to me, it's the only thing that makes sense.

I'm not about to figure out how to decrease everything else by 12%.

It's much easier to increase the one ingredient that has changed.

Rae

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 8

I looked at a box in my store and it is actually 3 oz. less , went from 18.25 oz. to 15.25 oz. but the mix calls for 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of oil and still 3 eggs. So they've decreased the water but increased the oil and kept the eggs the same. Wonder how this new cake bakes up compared to the old and not sure how it would stand up to being doctored. Maybe give them a call...there's an 800# on the box.

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

So, if the original recipe calls for 2 boxes of mix--36.5 oz.--then you'll only have 30.5 oz. using the new boxes. I'd just weigh out 6 ounces from a 3rd box.

The WASC recipe I use only calls for 4TBSP of oil and even when I've forgotten it, I haven't noticed it. I think the fat in the sour cream is more important to the recipe.

Rae

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 2:10am
post #8 of 8

Personally I think the new mixes SUCK!! They are smaller and therefore you have to use 2 to get enough cake for 12 servings! Taste wise they are ok but seem dry. I tried 2 mixes the other day and at first I thought it would be ok, but after my cake cooled it went from a 3" cake to 2.5". Today I baked a 10" cake (3" deep) and had to use 3 mixes (1 new BC, 1 old BC and a DH). Normally I would only need approx 2 mixes. Not sure how this will affect the WASC recipe, but I won't be using them anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%