Baking Meringue Mushrooms

Baking By Karsn Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm by SammieB

Karsn Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:38am
post #1 of 8

I am making Meringue Mushrooms following Martha Stewart's recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/312868/meringue-mushrooms

And I just wondered if she means celsius og fahrenheit when she mentions degrees?

7 replies
JanH Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 8

Fahrenheit. icon_smile.gif

Karsn Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:48am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Fahrenheit. icon_smile.gif

Thanks. Im new to this icon_smile.gif
But yeah it seems like 225 degrees celsius would be alot of 2 hours.

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

The premise behind baking Meringue is based more on drying at low heat versus actually baking them. So yes, they will take a long time, and you don't want them to brown. Patience is key when it comes to Meringue Mushrooms.

Kat

Karsn Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsSuiteCakes

The premise behind baking Meringue is based more on drying at low heat versus actually baking them. So yes, they will take a long time, and you don't want them to brown. Patience is key when it comes to Meringue Mushrooms.

Kat

Okay. Thanks icon_smile.gif

It hit me that i don't have a candy thermometer. Can I still make them or will it fail if the syrup isn't heated to the right point?

I have another recipe for meringues. I think it's just egg whites and sugar that you whisk for a long time. Would that work for mushrooms?

KatsSuiteCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 8

The recipe I use, is beaten egg whites with sugar. Don't have the exact recipe off hand, but there are variations from the syrup method, and I prefer just egg whites and sugar. Mine have never failed, and everyone just loves them. If you google Mushroom Meringues, you will easily find something that you can work with. Good Luck!

Kat

fondantgrl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 8

Hi karsn,

that's all it takes, egg whites and sugar.. you can add Cream of tartar and vanilla , but it is really not necessary. I make my Yule Log every year and I make my Mushrooms, at 200 degrees until dry to the touch.. about 2 hours and I leave it in the oven w/ oven off and door ajar overnight. The next day, they are totally dry and you can pick them up easily.. I made this a couple of years ago:

SammieB Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm
post #8 of 8

This is the recipe I had seen that I planned on trying. I just haven't gotten around to it yet:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/meringue-mushrooms/detail.aspx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%