3 Tier Cake

Decorating By pirategirl Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm by all4cake

pirategirl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:03am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!icon_smile.gif I'm making a 3 tier carrot cake (squares, 16, 12 and 8 inch) for my friend's wedding. Nothing extra fancy, just a yummy carrot cake with cream cheese icing...but I was wondering if i could assemble it without any support between the layers. Help! Thank youicon_smile.gif))

5 replies
angelleyes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:18am
post #2 of 6

I would support it inless u want it to come crashing down icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:24am
post #3 of 6

You can invest in an expensive $80.00 Wilton floating tiers cake stand if you want to have each ROUND cake layer on it's own cake stand (eliminating need for using a cake support system but you're limited in what size cakes (6, 10, 14") you can use):

all4cake Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 6

You're wondering if you can assemble it without support between layers or without support between tiers?

Regardless, I would say no...even if they were single layers of each size, I'd still say no. Carrot cake is a heavy cake and the weight would be centered and could cause the lower layer to succumb to the weight of the upper layers. Most definitely wouldn't do it without support if they were double layer tiers.

CWR41 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:54am
post #5 of 6

Never. The general rule is to use a support system for every 4" of cake height.

With each tier on its own board, you should definitely stack with supports:

all4cake Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 6

I just reread what I wrote and I didn't clarify it very well...actually, not at all.

You don't need to support each layer but you do need to support each tier even if each tier is only one layer (as opposed to the most common, 2 layer (whether they're split or not) tiers)...especially, with a heavy (mine is also more moist than most of my other cakes)cake like carrot cake...especially, one that size...

Quote by @%username% on %date%