Modeling Chocolate Dripping Oil When Kneaded

Baking By lela77 Updated 1 Sep 2011 , 4:28am by fondantgrl

lela77 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:31am
post #1 of 11

this is my first attempt at working with the modeling chocolate
i have used belgian chocolate disks from bulk barn, and corn syrup - 1lbs of chocolate, and 7 tbs of syrup
it sat in the fridge for a few hours before i took it out to see how it's going to be like
once the piece warmed up, it started getting more and more oily, to a point where the oil was dripping off from the chocolate and my hands

what am i doing wrong?

any advice would be appreciated!

10 replies
Sweetcakes23 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:44am
post #2 of 11

I have only made this once, but I do remember it being oily too. But, I was told to refrig. overnight? Maybe that will make the difference. I just kept kneading and kneading, and it incoorporated it.

angelleyes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 11

I read somewhere that u have to let the chocolate cool down before u add the corn sryup. If u don't it can become to oily... And I don't think u have to put it in the fridge if I remember right

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:30am
post #4 of 11

The oil will absob back into the modeling chocolate if you just wrap it up and leave it on the counter.
I made a LOT of modeling chocolate for a competition piece I did and I discovered too things, over mixing it releases more oil and two , don't try and sop up the oil with a paper towel. I did that with my batch of brown and it was crumbly and harder to work with. The batch that I just wrapped up and left and then kneaded the next day was great.

olleharr Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:05am
post #5 of 11

I spread mine out on a cookie sheet covered with plastic wrap. It will be oily at first but if you leave it set for a couple hours the oil will absorb. Then you can ball it up and it will be ready to go. As you work with it it your hands will warm it up and it will get a little oily afterwards but it will be very workable. I usually mix mine 50/50 with fondant and it makes it even easier to work with.

glendaleAZ Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 11
fondantgrl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 11

That means that the oil was not mixed in well. I find mine a little slippery when I knead, but not to the point where the oil is dripping. I find modeling chocolate easier to deal with than fondant. These are my cakes wrapped and decorated in modeling chocolate.. Don't mix the corn syrup if chocolate is too hot. It will separate, let it cool a little bit, maybe about 10 mins.. Keep stirring the chocolate b4 adding the corn syrup:

sewsweet2 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:59pm
post #8 of 11

I always knead as much of the oil out of the candy clay as I can. It works fine with out the oil. And I figure the customer doesn't need al lthat useless oil anyway. I knead it over some aluminum foil then just dispose of the foil and oil when I'm done. It helps eliminate those little hard bumps of oil that you get when the chocolate clay sets. Just saying, this works for me.

fondantgrl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 11

If corn syrup and candy melts are mixed or done right right, you will not even see any oil.. based on my experience. There is no oil in corn syrup. The referred oil is probably some coco butter from the chocolate. Would one remove oil when making ganache ? I don't think so. I know, we are talking about modeling chocolate.

lela77 Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 3:40am
post #10 of 11

thank you all for the replies!

i just finished covering my dinosaur with the chocolate, and this time nothing was dripping when i kneaded it

the only difference is that it sat in the fridge overnight, and that i had it coloured last night

fondantgrl Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 4:28am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lela77

thank you all for the replies!

i just finished covering my dinosaur with the chocolate, and this time nothing was dripping when i kneaded it

the only difference is that it sat in the fridge overnight, and that i had it coloured last night

I am so glad it worked for U this time... Just keep making modeling chocolate. Practice makes perfect.. good for you.. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%