Cakes Gummy In The Center

Baking By Lili5768 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 4:36am by Lili5768

Lili5768 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:22am
post #1 of 8

I just baked three cakes and they all came out gummy and rawlike in the center!icon_sad.gif but thry were very brown on the sides and bottom! and I needed to decorate one for tomorrow!icon_sad.gif I don't know why this happened, was it the oven temp? Has this happened to anyone else before? Any hints or advice? Thanks in advance!

7 replies
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 8

It sounds like your oven temp needs adjusting. Do you have a thermometer that will allow you to test the accuracy. If your cakes were browned on the bottom and sides, with the centers not done, the heat might be too high.

Good Luck and your cakes are lovely!

Kat

yates77 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 8

For any cakes 10" or larger I place a flower nail in the centre of the batter. This distributes heat in the middle of the cake and helps the cake bake more evenly.

checkoutthecake Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 8

Try using a heating core, I turn my flower nail upside down and put it into the middle of the cake. It helps to cook the center.

sillywabbitz Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:48am
post #5 of 8

What temp did you bake, what size cakes and how long did you bake them?

I agree to get an oven thermometer.

MimiFix Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:48am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatsSuiteCakes

It sounds like your oven temp needs adjusting. ... If your cakes were browned on the bottom and sides, with the centers not done, the heat might be too high... Kat

I totally agree. Drop your oven temp and bake for a longer time. When the top is a golden brown, lightly press on the top. If it feels firm remove from the oven. If an imprint remains, bake a few minutes longer.

Lovelyladylibra Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:50am
post #7 of 8

Sounds like your oven temp is a bit off

Lili5768 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 4:36am
post #8 of 8

Thank you all so much for the help.

My wonderful drove out to the only store open this late and they were about to close, to get me more eggs, and I'm baking two more cakes. I found an oven thermometer that I had and placed it, but as I was whipping the whites I noticed that they are not stiff. I use the food processor with the egg white whipping attachment which has been working fine till today. I think that may have something to do with it also.

I'm just baking them like that I'm too tired. What ever comes out I'll try and see if it works The cake was for a doctor where my daughter is a nurse, and she asked my daughter today, this evening actually, if I could bake her a small cake at the last minute for her secretary who's birthday is tomorrow.Very short notice but I said yes. I hope at least I get too good halves that I can put together! icon_sad.gif

Thanks everyone again. I will keep you posted...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%