Refridgerating A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By creativeconfections Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 3:17am by leah_s

creativeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creativeconfections Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #1 of 6

Okay - what are your thoughts? We have covered cakes many times with fondant and placed them in the fridge. We tell customers to allow the cake to sit out several hours prior to serving and it would be fine. Now I read that you should not place a fondant covered cake in the fridge. I am very interested in your thoughts on this and possible experiences.

5 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #2 of 6

I have done it several times and it works very well. You will get people that say don't but it depends upon the type of fondant that you use. I use Michelle Foster's Fondant and I don't have any problems with it sweating.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #3 of 6

A cold cake put into a warm/humid environment will sweat, just like an iced drink develops condensation on a glass. It's a given physical reaction.

If the air is very dry, the condensation may virtually non-existent.

It's just condensation. It'll dry.

If you're worried about color dripping because of condensation, or some other issue, you can box the cake, wrap the box with saran several times, and put that in the fridge. Don't take it out of the box until it's come to room temp. It can't form condensation then.

HTH
Rae

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

I always always always frig my fondant cakes. The only exception to that is airbrushed fondant I wouldn't want to take a chance of the colors bleeding.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:16am
post #5 of 6

I don't put ANY cake in the fridge. Ever. Never have.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 3:17am
post #6 of 6

I take it back. I do refrigerate German chocolate cake, due to the egg yolks in the icing.

But that's the only one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%