Coloring Fondant

Decorating By KakesbyKaran Updated 3 Sep 2011 , 1:32pm by KakesbyKaran

KakesbyKaran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKaran Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #1 of 4

First off, let me say I love this site. You all have given me inspiration and ideas for several months now.

I have a request to make a Monster Energy drink themed cake. Does anyone have any idea how I would go about getting the right color of neon green colored fondant? Should I mix yellow and green? I am drawing a blank on how to get that color. And I have no time to purchase some that is already that color.

Thanks all!!

3 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have access to a store that sells Americolor brand gels? I know Hobby Lobby sells them. They have an Electric Green that might be a good starting point.

If not, then I would try mixing yellow and green, but add in very small amount and color only a little sample of your fondant first as an experiment.

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 4

Michaels' have Duff's 'brand' of coloring and has the electric colors.

Witlon's leaf green is a pretty bright color, so a little yellow to it would make it more neon.

Take a small bit of fondant and play around with the colors. With smaller amounts you can usually add them in to a large amount later with out changing the color too much. But that way you can get an idea of which combinations give you the better color.

KakesbyKaran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakesbyKaran Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks all! I ended up getting Duff's coloring and it worked perfectly! Appreciate the suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%