Shimmer?

Decorating By shar7599 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 8:57am by sweettreat101

shar7599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar7599 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sure this has been answered, but the search option on here is not really easy to navigate and find the answers that I really need so here we go.

I am doing a cake in 2 weeks. I had bought ribbon to put around the base but now I'm thinking I want it to be 100% edible, since it's a wedding cake, I don't really want them having to deal with trying to take the ribbon off and all that. So I have decided to make my own ribbon out of fondant and make it shimmer using the dust. Now, I've used the dust before, and it didn't work well for me on dry fondant. I've now discovered I should have used vodka.

So here are my questions. The ribbon is going to be a teal-ish color. I'm not sure how easy that color will be to find. do they make a clear dust that I can put on it and not change the color? It will be about 1 inch ribbon, with a thinner black ribbon running through the middle. Can I use that same shimmer on the black? Will the shimmer be really thick using the vodka? I don't want it all blinged out looking, just want a hint of sparkle. Thanks so much!

9 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 10

You want a white or super pearl dust.

Dry bushing will have a more subtle effect. Mixing it with an alcohol will make it more bold. I'd try both on a small piece to see which you look better.

shar7599 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks!! I had a hard time with the dust I used before staying on the fondant and sticking to my fingers. Thus leaving shiny purple fingerprints on my cake!! Drove me insane! I just want it to look like real ribbon!! LOL

shar7599 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 10

Oh yeah, I also read about mixing the dust into the fondant then rolling it out and cutting it. Has anyone tried that method?

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:26am
post #5 of 10

My suggestion would run along with Texas sugar's, but I thought I'd offer a better way to search. I, too, have difficulty finding what I want here on CC but find much better results if I go to Google, advanced search and enter cakecentral.com in the site or domain space.
I saw this hint in another post here and it has saved me a lot of grief.

Good luck on your shimmer quest.

Jan

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #6 of 10

Its a great idea to mix luster dust in with your fondant. You can add as much or a s little as you want!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:29am
post #7 of 10

If you mix the dust into the fondant it will just disappear.

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #8 of 10

I have used Rainbow Disco dust on fondant (w/out vodka) and it gives a very nice blingy shimmer. Good luck

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:51am
post #9 of 10

I've done it b4 and didn't have a problem with it.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:57am
post #10 of 10

The best thing I have found is pearl spray. It's easier to use than trying to dust on Luster dust. This cake was sprayed with pearl spray. It comes in a small can that looks like a paint can. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2058394

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%