Jam (Jelly) Filling In Cupcakes

Baking By Jens88 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 9:39pm by HomemadeUpgrade

Jens88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jens88 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I'm in the middle of baking some cupcakes now for a friend and I'd like to have a black cherry jam filling in them. I know that I can inject the filling at the end but is there any issues with putting a spoonful of jam in the middle of the batter and baking it in there?

Thought I would ask rather than try it and find out as I don't want to ruin them!

Thanks!

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 5

I have never tried it, but I think that as the jam heats up it will just spread out and mix into the cake all by itself? So when you bite into the cupcake you wouldn't have a definite look of filling (but I bet they would be delicious!)
Instead of injecting, you could remove a plug of cake with an apple corer and put the jam in the hole, then put the plug back in (remove some cake from the plug if necessary). If you don't have an apple corer, just remove a bit of cake with a sharp knife as if you were making butterfly cakes, and fill the hole and replace cake.

KakeMistress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakeMistress Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 5

the jam will just sink to the bottom. I did an experiement when I was a teenager with chocolate raspberry cupcakes. my foster mom always made the BEST raspberry jam so that is what we used, in her batch she put the jam in the cupcakes prior to baking, with my batch I put the jam in after baking. my foster moms batch had jam at the bottom of the cupcake, it was still good but mine had the jam in the middle where I put it.. HTH

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 8:36am
post #4 of 5

I make filled cupcakes all the time. Baking for 3 farmers markets a week and making 5 dozen for each market. Any way, we use the cutting and plug method. Tried the injector method, and sometimes you can't get the filling thru the tip, and I don't think you get as much filling in the cupcake as you can if you use the plug method, and after all isn't that what you want to please your customers with, is enough filling. Even buy a donut that is filled and really disappointed when you get 1/2 mouth full of frosting in all that donut?
Just my opinion. HTH

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 5

I use a piping bag and jumbo tip to fill my cupcakes. Just pierce the top of the cupcake with the tip, squeeze it in until it swells up and then release. A bit of it might come back out the top but not too much. My customers love it. I sell 6-10 dozen cupcakes per week on average at my farmers market.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%