My Mom's Wedding Cake

Decorating By Sweet_Cakes Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm by bakerliz

Sweet_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, so today I went and bought a 12", 8" and 4" cake pans for my mom's wedding cake. Apparently the cost of fondant is over $50. That's for like 7lbs of fondant. Plus, I would need some for the groom's cake, which I think is going to be a 8" x 8" double layer cake. So, should I make it? Or should I open up my pocketbook?

(This is not me being cheap...I just don't have a lot of money to work with here and this is an expensive hobby...I'm doing this cake for free because...well who is going to charge their mother for a cake? Really?)

14 replies
paulacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulacake Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 15

What about doing buttercream instead of fondant. Most people don't eat the fondant anyway. Just a thought.

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 15

Your pans you will be able to use many times. You could make your cake with about 6-7 cakes mixes if you are not against that. You could make marshmallow fondant....cheap and easy really. It is not cheap to make a wedding cake, but it sure is not cheap and easy to buy one either. I would do it as a labor of love as a gift for them. I looked at your cakes. You can do this if you make up your mind to.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 15

Hi,
Here are some recipes from CC on making fondant,
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/category/fondantgumpastesugarpaste

I would suggest though, that you make a small amount first, to test it, if it fails then you'll probably have to buy it, or ice the cake in buttercream. If it works and its cheaper for you to make it, then great! and you'll have learnt how to make fondant for future cakes!

Hope this helps! Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 15

This is my "opinion". What brand of fondant are you looking into using? You may be wasting your money on some brands as it takes "chemically". Have you thought of butter cream? I have had customers come in wanting fondant and leaving wanting butter cream. However, I have to say that if you use Jennifer Dontz's chocolate fondant recipe, it is well worth the cost. I have heard many people say that MMF is easy and cheap to make but I have personally not made any. I do like to use Wilton fondant for cutting and accents but not for covering cakes. I covered a chicken with it (about 10 lbs) and it was peeled off the cake and tossed out because they didn't like the taste. They just ate the cake with the buttercream crumb coat! It probably would not cost much to experiment with the MMF. Also, I use the Hobby Lobby coupons if I am going to buy fondant because I can get it cheaper that way than what I can from my other suppliers once I add shipping.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 15

This is my "opinion". What brand of fondant are you looking into using? You may be wasting your money on some brands as it takes "chemically". Have you thought of butter cream? I have had customers come in wanting fondant and leaving wanting butter cream. However, I have to say that if you use Jennifer Dontz's chocolate fondant recipe, it is well worth the cost. I have heard many people say that MMF is easy and cheap to make but I have personally not made any. I do like to use Wilton fondant for cutting and accents but not for covering cakes. I covered a chicken with it (about 10 lbs) and it was peeled off the cake and tossed out because they didn't like the taste. They just ate the cake with the buttercream crumb coat! It probably would not cost much to experiment with the MMF. Also, I use the Hobby Lobby coupons if I am going to buy fondant because I can get it cheaper that way than what I can from my other suppliers once I add shipping.

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:23pm
post #7 of 15

Have you worked with fondant before? If so, you are familiar with what the texture and consistency is supposed to be like, so I would say make the MMF, and make extra! If not, I would recommend buying it because you could spend more money trying to figure it out in the long run. I've never used it, but Michael's carries the Duff fondant and they have a 40% off coupon this week. You can only use one at a time, but I just go back everyday LOL

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:32pm
post #8 of 15

This is a gift to her from you. Cakes can be expensive. Since I give ALL my cakes away because where I live I cannot sell them w/out preparing them a commercial kitchen, I just think of them as gifts when I give it to people. don't worry, I'm sure your mother will appreciate it very much. It is a gift from the heart.. show us when you are done later.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 15

You guys are so great! So, I'm going to look into the Duff fondant, and if not I will probably make it...now for my second question. I'll be traveling from Tennessee to North Carolina for the wedding. Should I bake the cakes there? I will only be getting there about a day before the wedding. Or, should I bake the cakes, freeze them and then bring them? Or bake the cakes the night before I leave, cover them and then travel? Aack!

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 15

I'd say to bake the cakes, freeze them and then take them, then there's a little bit of weight off your shoulders, knowing the cakes are ready for decorating. Or you could even decorate each tier, and take them with you, but box them seperatly, not constructed!

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 15

how are you traveling? if by car you can freeze and finish there, By plane, I would not trust airlines, otherwise, I would bake there.

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 15

I'm driving my trusty PT Cruiser...I thought about baking them and freezing them wrapped in foil, boxing them up and then covering and decorating there. I also thought about covering before I left, but I'm not sure I will have time to do that before I leave. I work full time and I need to clean my house before I leave to. Anyway, you guys have been very helpful to me today. I feel a little better now. Thanks!

katboss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katboss Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 15

duffs buttercream fondant does taste good but it is like $20 for a 2lb tub. It also is very "soft", does not get hard like regular fondant. If you make your own MMF make sure you microwave it for a few seconds before rolling it out, it makes it much easier to handle!! It also tastes good and you can flavor it any way you like. I'm sure whatever you decide will come out GREAT!!! good luck.. Kat

Sweet_Cakes Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:04pm
post #14 of 15

If I mix my batter Friday night and bake it Saturday night, do you think that it would hurt it?

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #15 of 15

My suggestion for travel would be to do as much decorating as you can on each individual tier. I would cover in fondant and apply and flat decorations. Then, I box each tier and assemble there adding any finishing touches and borders. I've only done this on 2 hour car rides, but I have done it 110 degree heat, and it works for me icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%