Help!! Using Ribbon On Fondant Questions

Decorating By bakinhoney1980 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 6:17am by Tails

bakinhoney1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinhoney1980 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 9

Hey I have a question that I know has been addressed in different posts, but I still am concerned. I have a four tier wedding cake in Sept that I need to wrap ribbon around the bottom of each tier. My question is #1) What is the best type of ribbon to use and is it special for cake decoration? #2) Where is the best place to get it? #3) What is the best size to use for a 4" cake? #4) What is the easiest and most secure method of applying the ribbon?

The only size I can find is 7/8" or 1 1/2"+. This is going to be a first for me and I have been experimenting with a cake dummy so that I have an idea of what I am getting into. Please HELP! Any information will be greatly appreciated.

8 replies
Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 9

I like to use 100% edibles. They make an edible ribbon for cakes that is quite pretty. It has just a little shimmer to it and comes in all different colors:

They're sold all over:

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/searchresults.aspx?Description=shimmer%20ribbons

http://secure.lucks.com/bpcsom/nxcsc.nsf/ListProducts?openagent&SID=42DA0E1EABCAFBC8882578FC0058D425&ListMenuEntry=8E1AE6CD525C56EE8825747800585A81&MenuEntry=8E1AE6CD525C56EE8825747800585A81&&

They adhere with just a little bit of moisture, so for fondant, you would just use a little bit of water.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 7:37pm
post #3 of 9

Wow, I didn't know they made edible ribbon - ya learn something new everyday.

Cakeuhlicious - I went to the links you gave and it looks like they only come in one size, 1" x 10.5". Even for a small 6 inch cake you would need to use 2 ribbons. What do you do about the seems? Don't they show on the cake?

Thanks,
Tammy

shar7599 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shar7599 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 9

I use regular old ribbon from the craft store, like hobby lobby or something. They have a lot of different sizes.If you wrap it around and use just a little piping gel where the two ends meet, it will stick perfectly.

I haven't used the ribbon like the pic that was posted. I have had that suggested to me before too, but I'm like the above poster, I'm worried about the seams. I wish they had it in longer strips!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 9

Sorry bakinhoney1980, I got so caught up in the edible ribbon that I didn't answer your question. icon_redface.gif

#1) What is the best type of ribbon to use and is it special for cake decoration?
As you know, I didn't know they made edible ribbon, so I was just using the regular ribbon that you would use for sewing.

#2) Where is the best place to get it?
Michael's or Joann's, even Walmart sometimes in a pinch

#3) What is the best size to use for a 4" cake?
I think this would depend on your customer -- the look they want. I've see cakes with a small 1/2 to wide 4 inch ribbon.

#4) What is the easiest and most secure method of applying the ribbon?
I wrap the ribbon around my cake and use RI to secure the two over-lapped edges.

shar7599 - Next time I have a ribbon to attach I'm going to give piping gel a try.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #6 of 9

I just use regular ribbon from my local frabric store. I had no idea they made edible ribbon - I learned something too today!! To fasten the ribbon together at the back I actually ended up using a small dab of royal icing and it worked great! (I actually wasn't expecting it to, it was an experiment!) Next time I'm going to try the gel idea icon_smile.gif I actually went to a wedding in the spring that whoever made their cake had used a small pin to keep them together and forgot to mention it to the bride and groom.... Yikes!! [/img]

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:11am
post #7 of 9

I just use regular ribbon from my local frabric store. I had no idea they made edible ribbon - I learned something too today!! To fasten the ribbon together at the back I actually ended up using a small dab of royal icing and it worked great! (I actually wasn't expecting it to, it was an experiment!) Next time I'm going to try the gel idea icon_smile.gif I actually went to a wedding in the spring that whoever made their cake had used a small pin to keep them together and forgot to mention it to the bride and groom.... Yikes!!

cindynes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindynes Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #8 of 9

Hi Bakinhoney, I have used the edible strips on a cake recently and they worked out great, but the only thing that threw me was that they were only 10 inches long and so when applying them I had to be very careful how to line up the vertical seams and where they would be showing up on the cake. I have a feeling that making the strips longer than 10 inches would be difficult for people to handle and work with. Another thing with them is that they really stick!! so, you have to make sure that you lay it down perfectly cause you can't re-adjust it at all. I also made my first stacked cake in a cake class and sticking ribbon with RC on fondant works beautifully. If you look at my cakes you'll see the edible ribbons on the white cake with pink and red gumpaste flowers. The fabric ribbon cake is also a white cake but with the small blue ribbon. Good luck with what ever you decide to do and I know it will turn out beautifully because you are giving it so much thought to detail. Hope this was of some help to you. icon_wink.gif

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 6:17am
post #9 of 9

I've also heard to rub the (real, not the fake) ribbon down with shortening before applying, so the colour doesnt bleed into the fondant icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%