Navy Officer Hat. . .help With Construction?!?

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm by Valkstar

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 3

hi everyone!

I have this cake due for this weekend and I'm stressing over how to construct the hat. It is the Navy Officer's Hat (scrambled eggs hat). I was going to start with 2 8" rounds and then I'm lost from there. The hat comes down kind of at an angle, so do I just stack my rounds and slice a slight angle off the top of the cakes to achieve that affect, or is there a better way. I'm starting to think I'll need 3 layers of cake to achieve a proportional look. Because I still have to have enough room for the black band to wrap around the bottom. Ahhh, i'm so nervous!

If anyone has any ideas or has made one of these before I would REALLY appreciate your input. This needs to be perfect! Thanks!

2 replies
vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 3

I think I would do three layers to ensure there are enough servings after you trim the angel and to have enough room for all the details. I hope it turns out how you want! Can't wait to see photos!

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 3

I made one last year for a policeman here which is the same shape. I made two 8" rounds and sliced one at an angle. This then sat on top of the plain round. The angle you cut off can be used to make the peak.

The problem I had was colouring the fondant navy....a total nightmare!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%