Fondant Verses Gum Paste

Baking By cakeshoplady Updated 30 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm by Texas_Rose

cakeshoplady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshoplady Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

I have used a lot of fondant in the past but the flowers I am trying to make for a wedding cake just don't look right. How much more difficult is gum paste to work with, and does it give you a delicate look?

5 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 6

I know that there are lots of cake decorators on here that have a lot more experience than I do, but here is my understanding of Gumpaste. It has more tylose in it and dries faster. You can run both fondant and gumpaste through a pasta machine, but I think that Gumpaste probably has more flexibility than fondant. But I also know that if you don't have Gumpaste on hand and do not have time to make any or the ingredients for it on hand than I have been told that you can add Tylose to fondant and I think that you have a similiar enough product that will work for you in an emergency.

cakeshoplady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeshoplady Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 10:23am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the information, I really like the scripture on your page!

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:02am
post #4 of 6

I find gumpaste much easier to work with for flowers. It's more firm to start with, so pieces hold their shape better. And yes, you can roll it out very thin to make delicate petals. It dries faster and harder. Also, I did a few roses out of fondant (when I didn't have any gumpaste on hand) and they started to "wilt" once placed on the cake. Gumpaste won't do that.

DaDa561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaDa561 Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 11:30am
post #5 of 6

I just started working with gum paste this year, and you can't beat it for use in flowers. They are far more delicate and realistic. I never thought I would use the technique, but I'm a believer.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 30 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 6

Gumpaste is a lot easier for flowers. Fondant with tylose added doesn't really compare.

You can make flowers from fondant if you really want to, as long as you have formers to dry them on and about a week of drying time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%