Catchy Business Name?

Business By FaughndOfCakes Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 5:17am by CakeItGood

FaughndOfCakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 5

Hey All, I am trying to get my cake business up can going. The name I have come up with is FAUGHND OF CAKES. My maiden name is Faughn and I thought it would be a fun play on words. is it understandable? I thought the slogan or whatever you want to call it would be "Confections To Be Fond Of!" feedback please?

4 replies
GlueStick Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaughndOfCakes

Hey All, I am trying to get my cake business up can going. The name I have come up with is FAUGHND OF CAKES. My maiden name is Faughn and I thought it would be a fun play on words. is it understandable? I thought the slogan or whatever you want to call it would be "Confections To Be Fond Of!" feedback please?

It's cute, but I wouldn't do it because I would use something that's easy for everyone to remember. People also can't spell sometimes, so they might end up googling for "Fauned of Cakes" or "Fawned of Cakes" and never find you. Homophones seem to be difficult for many. Also, even if it's word of mouth, not everyone will remember the correct spelling.

Your idea is definitely a good play on words, but as my daughter keeps telling me, most people aren't as smart as we think, so we need to keep things simple for them. Hth

cakecoachonline Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:25am
post #3 of 5

You have to consider what people will type into face book or google in order to search for you. Are you going to have a website? If so you need to find out also what names are available for a website at the same time as choosing your business name. Deciding on a name and then discovering that you cannot call a website with this name would be very frustrating, because someone has already got that website name already. If you are not ready for a website - you can always purchase the name in order to reserve it for future use. Domain names are generally not expensive. If your business name has a difficult spelling then it could make you not easy to find. Finding a catchy name which is memorable and easy to spell will ensure your potential customers are not disappearing to the competitors that they can find easily!

vtcake Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 5

I got the play on words only after you explained it. I read your name as Faugh North Dakota.

CakeItGood Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

I agree with all of the above. And would like to add some friendly and firm advice ...

GIRL ... GET YOUR MAIDEN NAME OFF THE INTERNET!!!

!!!!!
!!!!
!!!
!!
!

Having your maiden name out there is setting yourself up for identity theft. Can't have that kind of stress taking away from the positivity vibes that are needed to run your cake business icon_wink.gif Good luck with choosing a name, it was really hard for me but finally we found just the right thing. Think about your interestes, what made you start caking, etc.

P.S. For some reason your name made me think of LaFonda from Napoleon Dynamite. There is seriously a whole ist of Napoleon-esq names that you could run with ... Confections by LaFonda, "Eat Your Cake, Tina!". Now THAT would be something people would remember!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%