Tylose Vs. Gumpast

Decorating By rlowry03 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 1:14pm by rlowry03

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #1 of 5

Can someone please explain the difference to me and how to use them? I learned to mix gumpaste and fondant to make things like flowers, but on CC I started reading some things that call for tylose and some that say either tylose or gumpaste. I'd never heard of tylose before.

4 replies
flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:17am
post #2 of 5

I make my gumpaste with tylose powder. The recipe is on Nicholas Lodge's website. I took a gumpaste flower class from him and this is what he uses. I believe it's a bit cheaper to make this way and it works well too.

LadyTangerine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTangerine Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #3 of 5

Gum paste can be made in different ways, and using tylose powder is one of them! I always use it to make mine! There should even be a video for it on youtube! It's very simple and I like it much better than using a fondant/gumpaste mix to make flowers!

Debluvs2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debluvs2bake Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 5

I use tylose for perfect color matching. Add tylose to the fondant I'm using rather than make gumpaste and try to match the color to my fondant. And I make just what I need, lot less waste.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I didn't realize tylose was used to make gumpaste. If I'm making flowers, do I mix tylose powder with fondant, make gumpaste and mix it with fondant, or just used gumpaste made from tylose?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%