Cupcakes In A Jar

Baking By BeBe Bakes Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 10:38pm by HomemadeUpgrade

BeBe Bakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:26am
post #1 of 7

Hey y'all!!! I'm new to this site and to baking. I have been doing research on cupcakes and ran across "cupcakes in a jar"! I think they look cool but am wondering what "my experts" (as I have begun calling y'all) think???

6 replies
DallasTexas Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:41am
post #2 of 7

Hmmmm, cupcakes in a jar.

Depends on what you're thinking.

Are you thinking these would make nice gifts around Christmas time, or gifts for teachers perhaps?

Are you thinking of making and selling these at a crafts fair or a farmer's market? I think in most places, you may need a license, insurance, and a commercial kitchen, but there are some states that permit home bakers to make and sell goods.

It's a simple and lovely idea, but the things that I'd consider are my time and the cost involved in buying the jars and lids (no matter the size), and the amount of buttercream that's needed to make these look "full" especially if you use a larger jar.

Toppers for the lids would be an extra expense--even if it's just fabric with a raffia or grosgrain ribbon tied into a bow, and a little tag.

Here are a couple of sites with nice photos:
http://www.joyshope.com/2009/04/mason-jar-cupcakes.html
http://www.allthingscupcake.com/2010/04/13/diy-cupcakes-in-a-jar/

kisamarie Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:56am
post #3 of 7

I make these now, I tried posting a picture but it was rejected as non decorated. I have customers who absolutely love them! They make excellent gifts, or wedding favors!

Janiepie Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 7

Kisamarie, How long do these stay fresh and what price do you sell them for?

kisamarie Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 7

They last about a week, but I recommend they be refrigerated if they arent to be eaten in the first couple of days. I charge $6.00/jar.

BeBe Bakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 7

Great ideas! I live in Florida so I can sell baked goods out of my home kitchen. I am thinking of getting lincesed as a LLC corporation, but need to do more research on that. The jars are a $1 a piece for jar and lid. The ribbon I find on clearance at the craft stores. I think this is such a unique idea! I've had a lot of positive responses today at work with tossing the idea around to people.

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisamarie

They last about a week, but I recommend they be refrigerated if they arent to be eaten in the first couple of days. I charge $6.00/jar.

How big of a jar? Half pint?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%