6 'o' Clock, 45 Degrees...

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm by TexasSugar

traci_doodle Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 8

When I took the Wilton first course, I found the whole clock thing really confusing, so I ignored it and just played around until it looked right. Fast forward a few years, and now I am setting up a class to teach my friends how to decorate cakes.

So I'm wondering, did you find this confusing as well, or was it actually helpful? If most people find it helpful, I'll go back and figure out how to teach it that way, otherwise I'll try to pay more attention to what I'm doing and figure out a good way to teach it. What do you think?

7 replies
rlowry03 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 8

I remember not finding it too confusing during the classes. I had a great instructor who explained things very well. However, after I took some time off from decorating and went back to it I had to review how to pipe flowers and I would have to stop and figure out what the directions meant. It came back pretty quick though.

Maybe you could come up with another way to explain it and then use both methods during the class because some people will get it one way but not necessarily the other. Good luck teaching! Are you working for wilton in a store? I'd like to start teaching but there aren't any of the chain craft stores nearby.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 8

I find the clock face method very useful and easy to interpret when reading directions.

Rae

traci_doodle Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 8

Okay, maybe I'll try to figure it out. icon_smile.gif I'm not teaching at a craft store. I'm just making up my own class for some friends. Basically I'm going to teach them how to frost a cake, make a FBCT and then add a shell border. Personally, I think these are the most useful skills for young moms (which is my audience).

rlowry03 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 8

I think those are great things to start with! From there they can adapt things to most birthday cakes little kids want. I would definitely teach them a basic star and maybe even add the wilton clown. I remember circus cakes being big a while back.

TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 8

When it comes to describing the clock position to my students I usually say, "The shell if done on the board at a 6 o'clock position, so our back is bag towards our chest."

For the 3 o'clock, I remind them that the back of the bag is off towards our right, and for 4:30, the bag following your arm back towards your shoulder.

traci_doodle Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 8

haha turns out I've been doing my shell at "3 o clock" this whole time. Maybe I should work on my technique before I go off pretending to teach others. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 8

Really when you are doing it around the edge of the cake you are at more of a 4:30 or 3. Wilton does teach it on the board at a 6.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%